Player of the season so far

Who would you say has been our best player so far this season ? I’d actually go with O’nien . Strong in the tackle , decent with both feet , plays well in any position, heart on the sleeve type player , will definitely get better in the next few years .

Agree O'Nein 100% every game hes played puts body on line literally
Wyke then Sanderson

Did you not read my op ? Says a lot more than he tries hard .

Well I did but it didn't say much and I didn't agree with much of what it did say tbh.

You said "Strong in the tackle" but there are several others who average more tackles a game than O'Nien: Scowen, McLaughlin, Leadbitter, and Hume all average more tackles per game this season. To put it into context, he has the same number of tackles per game as Jake Vokins.

You said "decent with both feet". Yes, I suppose he is, but there's others (McGeady and Gooch) who are more two footed than him.

You said "plays well in any position". Really? Apart from two games in midfield (after which he was moved because he had little impact), he has only played in two positions this season. Hardly 'any position' is it?

You said "heart on the sleeve type player". Yes, he always tries hard.

You said "will definitely get better in the next few years." There's no evidence for that - he's 26, has spent his career in the lower leagues, and it's completely irrelevant to who should be player of the season for this season. Dan Neil will probably get better in the next few years, maybe we should give it to him.

So you're left with a player who tries hard. He is what he is. A hardworking player who always gives 100%, has made the most of his abilities (and well done to him for that) and his standard is a quite good League One squad player. No shame in that. In a season where we were battling relegation that might be enough to be considered for POTY. In a season where we have a striker who has scored 27 goals it isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I reckon so, top of the Championship is his level now and "much" higher than where we are at the moment. Not saying he's a premier player, but you couldn't ask anymore from him. He's showing the younger lads the way forward so credit where it is due. Ok maybe not a legend, but one of the big positives through our re-building nightmare.
Top of the Championship my arse. He's been bottom of it the last two times he's been there. He's nowhere near.

Not convinced there's any evidence of him showing the younger lads the way forward either. His last interview was all about him and his next contract and how he thinks he's the best player at the club.

McGeady.
He's just really good at playing football, this season he has been more of a team player.
Can't begin to imagine Phil Parkinson's thought process when he binned him off.

When Parkinson picked McGeady we got 7 points from 7 games which was relegation form.
When Parkinson didn't pick McGeady he achieved a points return that gets you 82 points over a season (not quite good enough granted)

That is probably what his thought process was.

Got to be honest here, the biggest turnaround of any player this season has got to be Max Power, I gave him pelters as much as anybody else early on but he stands out for me now for all the right reasons, very good captain also

Biggest turn around is Wyke by an absolute country mile.

Power has done canny though, so credit is thoroughly deserved.

Jings. How do you decide?

McGeady's skill?
O'Nien's application, versatility and sheer guts?
Sanderson's composure?

Dunno how you decide.
For me, O'Nien's contribution gets it - we wouldn't be still in with a shout of automatic without him.

O’Nein for me, followed by McGeady, then Sanderson and finally Wyke.
I forgot about Sanderson tbf mate , he’s been quality this season . Some seem to think that onien does nothing but tackle and run about , not sure what game they’re watching .

Back