Played For Both: Sunderland vs Dale

Kyle was exactly how you describe him but had one season where he looked really good. He tortured Palace over two legs in the play offs, we turned down £2m from them over the summer then he got a really bad hip injury and was out for 18 months and was the same again.
This...for me his best display in a Sunderland shirt was down Selhurst Park that night, he was excellent.
Steve Doyle
Great strike at RP v Stoke

Last edited:
Afternoon all.

Can't make it up to Wearside unfortunately tomorrow as can't get the day off work - but I'll be watching on from sunny Salford onthe iFollow. Fair to say I was gutted when this fixture was arranged for midweek as it ruined my chance of another weekend reliving my Uni days after a class weekend in the September sun last year, despite a thumping for Dale.

I've taken a look back at a couple of players who came to Dale on loan from Sunderland in the past - one I'm sure many of you will remember, one I'm not sure any of you will!

Kevin Kyle AKA the flying coffin

Didn’t he get booked once for trying to kick the ball back to a player for a free kick and he sliced it with his club foot miles away and the referee thought he did it on purpose? Might have been against Coventry years ago

Steve Doyle moved to Rochdale after he played an important part in Dennis Smith's team that won immediate promotion from the third level. Alan Weir was a promising youngster at Sunderland but only played one first team before moving to Spotland in 1979 and playing 96 times for them. Showing my age there........

Yous were shocking. Based on that, yous are very lucky the bottom 3 is as good as sorted.

Yeap, pretty much the way it's gone this season. We've beaten the other teams in and around the bottom, for the most part, but look hapless against the better teams in the division. Arguably our two key players are both likely to leave on frees in the summer too, so next season could be especially difficult.

Back