Played For Both: Sunderland vs Dale

deanothedalefan

Subs Bench
Afternoon all.

Can't make it up to Wearside unfortunately tomorrow as can't get the day off work - but I'll be watching on from sunny Salford onthe iFollow. Fair to say I was gutted when this fixture was arranged for midweek as it ruined my chance of another weekend reliving my Uni days after a class weekend in the September sun last year, despite a thumping for Dale.

I've taken a look back at a couple of players who came to Dale on loan from Sunderland in the past - one I'm sure many of you will remember, one I'm not sure any of you will!

Kyle was pretty good for us under McCarthy, injuries fucked him and when he returned during 05/06 he wasn’t the same player. Billy Mocquet was signed while Quinny was manager IIRC, that’s about all I remember from him.

That Steve Parkin who managed Dale is at SAFC now as Parky’s assistant.

Noticed on EFL on Quest that Paul McShane is turning out for you nowadays, another lad who was f***ing terrible here after a great debut.

Anyway, hoping for the same outcome as at Spotland earlier this season, but with a better performance, was very impressed with Dale in that game, remember thinking McGeady would torture the kid at full back.

Kyle was exactly how you describe him but had one season where he looked really good. He tortured Palace over two legs in the play offs, we turned down £2m from them over the summer then he got a really bad hip injury and was out for 18 months and was the same again.

Kyle was pretty good for us under McCarthy, injuries fucked him and when he returned during 05/06 he wasn’t the same player. Billy Mocquet was signed while Quinny was manager IIRC, that’s about all I remember from him.

That Steve Parkin who managed Dale is at SAFC now as Parky’s assistant.

Noticed on EFL on Quest that Paul McShane is turning out for you nowadays, another lad who was f***ing terrible here after a great debut.

Anyway, hoping for the same outcome as at Spotland earlier this season, but with a better performance, was very impressed with Dale in that game, remember thinking McGeady would torture the kid at full back.

Kyle went from regularly earning 8k a week to gambling/skint n working on ferries again.
Lovely lad n heart of a lion.

Will Buckley

Craig Lynch

Billy Knott

Paul Butler

Buckley is the player I would normally have featured had I not written about him when we met Bolton a few weeks ago. An absolute star at Dale. Butler also had a great reputation but his spell with us was slightly before my time, although I do remember him playing for Sunderland and Wolves later on. I think Lynch made just one sub appearance and Knott a handful as he struggled with ill health during his loan spell with us.

Kyle was exactly how you describe him but had one season where he looked really good. He tortured Palace over two legs in the play offs, we turned down £2m from them over the summer then he got a really bad hip injury and was out for 18 months and was the same again.
Used to put a shift in and plenty of effort even if his skill was questionable
Drink and depression. Ended up lower non league. Massive shame.
Billy Knott am sure played when Bradford beat us in cup with Poyet

Last edited:
Afternoon all.

Can't make it up to Wearside unfortunately tomorrow as can't get the day off work - but I'll be watching on from sunny Salford onthe iFollow. Fair to say I was gutted when this fixture was arranged for midweek as it ruined my chance of another weekend reliving my Uni days after a class weekend in the September sun last year, despite a thumping for Dale.

I've taken a look back at a couple of players who came to Dale on loan from Sunderland in the past - one I'm sure many of you will remember, one I'm not sure any of you will!

Score prediction? Just curious.

Back