Smogs average 25,528 Play offs 29,233 Percentage +/- +14.5%

Villa average 32, 235 Play offs 40,505 Percentage +/- +25.65%

Derby average 27,175 Play offs 27,163 Percentage +/- -0.1%

League 1

Charlton average 11,846 Play offs 14,367 Percentage +/- +21.2%

Shrewsbury average 6,249 Play offs 9,016 Percentage +/- +44.2%

Rotherham average 8514 Play offs 11,061 Percentage +/- +29.9%

Scunthorpe average 4364 Play offs 6591 Percentage +/- +51%

Sunderland average 32,157 Play offs? Percentage +/1 ?

Chucking some figures about then

Attendance tomorrow 28,000 14.8% less than average league gate

Attendance tomorrow 27,000 19.1 % less than average league gate

Attendance tomorrow 26,000 23.6% below average league gate

In short our "fans" failure to support their team in the play off semi finals is unprecedented in the play offs. Virtually every clubs fans support their team in much bigger numbers during the play offs and SAFC, the "best fans in the land" will see a huge percentage drop that is unrivalled for its plasticness in play off history.

And who says we never win owt.

In fairness only Leeds United have a worse play off record in the land than us !! Preston used too but ended the hoodoo a few years ago.

In fairness only Leeds United have a worse play off record in the land than us !! Preston used too but ended the hoodoo a few years ago.

Leeds is an excellent example.....In 2007-2008 they dropped to the 3rd tier for the first time in their history....This a team that a few years earlier had been in the Champions league and winning the Premiership, on top of that they went into league 1 on minus 15 points as they had gone into administration in the summer. In short their fall from grace was actually worse than ours has been so should probably have seen more pissed off fans than we have.

That season their attendance average was 26,040 and in the play offs they got 36,297 so an increase of 39% for the biggest game of the season.

Are people not going because they are tired of disappointment and think they can see what is coming?

Let’s be honest, no-one will be more amazed if we go up via the play offs than us!
In essence, yes. I wasn’t going until I caved in the other day and I’m an ever present at home games, haven’t missed one for years. I just know it’s going to end in heartache and misery again but I’m going in hope.

Justify what?

Its a game of football ffs, they can do what they want

Of course they can, but after us banging on about our amazing support for years on end we are showing that actually a good percentage are fair weather fans who cannot match the levels of support of their team that other clubs do in big games. Sad but true.

Your constant harping on is getting tedious.

Our attendance tomorrow will probably be around 30k. Slightly down on our season average. Fans had a week to plan for it, on a Saturday night at 7:30. The first Saturday after the season so many likely made other plans. In a month many are booking holidays.

Those who are there will support the team no doubt. I’d say your negativity is actually doing more harm than those who are just doing nothing.

Move on.

The attendance was poor at home to Palace though mate iirc. Our previous semi was against Sheff Utd and it was great.
True it was weeks after another infamous SAFC bittlejob at Old Trafford though. Wembley in the CT was a huge punch in the teeth for me, and I couldn’t give a shit about the competition. But seeing all them celebrate, the long journey ending in disappointment ..... it still hurt and I dread to think how bad losing the play off final would be. Being at Wembley in 1998 against Charlton devastated me as a kid.

In essence, yes. I wasn’t going until I caved in the other day and I’m an ever present at home games, haven’t missed one for years. I just know it’s going to end in heartache and misery again but I’m going in hope.

That sums up what I meant - the hope is eternal but the heartache feels inevitable...

32 thousand average for a club that has been fundamentally mismanaged all the way to league one is unrivaled for its "plasticness".

Not sure what goes through some folks heads.

Where did anybody say that? A club that averages 32,000 and then manages just 26,000 for the biggest game of the season is plastic support of the highest order. The year Leeds were in league 1 for the first time they average 26,000 and increased that 10,000 for the play offs.....If their support had matched ours for this game the would have had under 20,000.

As for the mismanagement point, do you think we were managed worse than Leeds who had to go into admin after previously playing in a Champions league semi final?

Last edited:
Leeds is an excellent example.....In 2007-2008 they dropped to the 3rd tier for the first time in their history....This a team that a few years earlier had been in the Champions league and winning the Premiership, on top of that they went into league 1 on minus 15 points as they had gone into administration in the summer. In short their fall from grace was actually worse than ours has been so should probably have seen more pissed off fans than we have.

That season their attendance average was 26,040 and in the play offs they got 36,297 so an increase of 39% for the biggest game of the season.

Leeds may have given away more tickets mind. We used to get circa 6k tickets for Elland Road before they relocated the away fans.

True it was weeks after another infamous SAFC bittlejob at Old Trafford though. Wembley in the CT was a huge punch in the teeth for me, and I couldn’t give a shit about the competition. But seeing all them celebrate, the long journey ending in disappointment ..... it still hurt and I dread to think how bad losing the play off final would be. Being at Wembley in 1998 against Charlton devastated me as a kid.

You're right there mate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back