Play off final at Chester this Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Local cricket has managed for years without 2 way radios,but of course NEPL is above all things normal.
It's just progress mate. Local cricket survived for years without Internet to upload scores and stats, It survived without coloured clothing and balls for cup cricket, survived without electronic scoreboards, survived without qualified coaches to coach juniors etc etc etc. Time moves on I'm afraid.
The issues around local cricket moving forward are far more to do with participation in younger generation than anything else IMO.

It's just progress mate. Local cricket survived for years without Internet to upload scores and stats, It survived without coloured clothing and balls for cup cricket, survived without electronic scoreboards, survived without qualified coaches to coach juniors etc etc etc. Time moves on I'm afraid.
The issues around local cricket moving forward are far more to do with participation in younger generation than anything else IMO.
Speaking of uploading scores etc... is it a DCL rule that it must be done this way? Know that this was brought in for our junuor teams, just wondered whether it was the same in the DCL.

If it were the case that it went on criteria then I'd say Castle Eden on the basis that Swalwell won the NTSL on numerous occasions and never showed any interest in taking up promotion therefore holding back clubs in that league for years.

Clearly it won't be but wouldn't surprise me if it was at the back of their minds if they did have to choose.
It's a simple thing really. The pyramid system comes into play in Northumberland next season and the playing format of NEPL changes next season to. Therefore the previous problems off all day cricket are no longer prohibitive to clubs looking to progress.

Just for clarity other clubs have won the NTSL such as shotley bridge, tynedale and ashington who until this season haven't shown an interest either unless you want to promote a non winner which devalues the concept.

The decision should be based on a cricket field not whether a club has shown more interest or not regardless of who the club is

Also add in that the facility for NTSL to be promoted to NEPL didn't exist until this year without resigning from league and joining DCL as per Burnopfield

Last edited:
Was talking to one of the Castle Eden lads yesterday, doesn't sound like this has been very well handled

He said every player in their team had been a junior at the club at some point found that interesting

It's a simple thing really. The pyramid system comes into play in Northumberland next season and the playing format of NEPL changes next season to. Therefore the previous problems off all day cricket are no longer prohibitive to clubs looking to progress.

Just for clarity other clubs have won the NTSL such as shotley bridge, tynedale and ashington who until this season haven't shown an interest either unless you want to promote a non winner which devalues the concept.

The decision should be based on a cricket field not whether a club has shown more interest or not regardless of who the club is

Also add in that the facility for NTSL to be promoted to NEPL didn't exist until this year without resigning from league and joining DCL as per Burnopfield[/QUOT

I did say that it would/should be part of the criteria, just my my own thoughts and you're right, it shouldn't.

The NTSL was a feeder league to the Premier League along with the DSL until the Prem 2 was created.

Swalwell won the league pretty much every year during that period and never chose to make the step up which us why no club from that league ever went up.

Tynedale did win NTSL early doors I think and also chose not to. They probably would've applied initially anyway if they fancied it as their stock was quite high around that time and another Northumberland side would've balanced the Prem out better.

In fact they may not have applied initially die to start time with it being farming country. Does ring a bell but could be wrong.

NTSL wasn't a feeder league until this year. Previously the NEPL allowed teams such as sacriston to apply direct to the NEPL 2nd tier.

I do not know the situation - was there no alternative ground sought as a reserve taking the possible weather conditions into account?

@Sweeper thoughts on this playoff??

Speaking to a couple of the Castle Eden lads yesterday, it sounds like they've been treated a bit shoddily. That said, it's hard to take a view without knowing the full facts of what went on. Either way it's turning into a bigger headache for all concerned now, with the full weekend being a wash out. Is there a definitive answer yet as to what's going to happen? Will they try to play the game next week?

Speaking to a couple of the Castle Eden lads yesterday, it sounds like they've been treated a bit shoddily. That said, it's hard to take a view without knowing the full facts of what went on. Either way it's turning into a bigger headache for all concerned now, with the full weekend being a wash out. Is there a definitive answer yet as to what's going to happen? Will they try to play the game next week?
Apparently they are looking at next weekend to try and get it played without a venue bring confirmed. A bit of a farce

What happened to Castle Eden prior to play off?

Of course mate, I have a 9 year old and 11 eleven year old myself, 2 boys and all they want to do is play computer games, so totally understand that participation decreasing is down to other issues.

That doesn't change the fact for me the NEPL and the ECB have this attitude that you must have this you must have that, telling local cricket clubs what to do, for which is just a game of cricket.

It's just strikes me that see themselves as some kind of holy grail that all local clubs should aspire too, when they just a f***ing local cricket league that's all they are.

Last edited:
Apparently they are looking at next weekend to try and get it played without a venue bring confirmed. A bit of a farce

What happened to Castle Eden prior to play off?

Apparently told that they would be promoted if Shotley Bridge didn't win the NTSL, so arranged to send their pro home then to be told that they would have to play Swalwell after all. Like I said - not sure of the full facts of what went on, and someone from the NEPL committee would probably have a different spin on it. Either way, the situation is what it is now - so it will be interesting to see how they sort it out. If there's a possibility to play it next weekend that's the obvious answer.

Apparently told that they would be promoted if Shotley Bridge didn't win the NTSL, so arranged to send their pro home then to be told that they would have to play Swalwell after all. Like I said - not sure of the full facts of what went on, and someone from the NEPL committee would probably have a different spin on it. Either way, the situation is what it is now - so it will be interesting to see how they sort it out. If there's a possibility to play it next weekend that's the obvious answer.
So usual administration skills from people running local sport.

From what I was told Shotley Bridge didn't meet criteria due to rolling year on year lease on the ground

2017 has been a nightmare for the NEPL administration

Still haven't sorted this overseas Visa issued dispite being raised in early June. Technically no one has a clue what is going on

This Play-Off won't end well either and I hope it's decided on the pitch and not based on a further adminstration decision

2017 has been a nightmare for the NEPL administration

Still haven't sorted this overseas Visa issued dispite being raised in early June. Technically no one has a clue what is going on

This Play-Off won't end well either and I hope it's decided on the pitch and not based on a further adminstration decision
Old school DSL behaviour?

NTSL wasn't a feeder league until this year. Previously the NEPL allowed teams such as sacriston to apply direct to the NEPL 2nd tier.
NTSL were definitely a feeder League into the NEPL in the original Pyramid system where it was optional for promotion. If my memory serves me right Swalwell won the League on numerous occasions but decline promotion into the NEPL Premier Division (at this time there was only 1 Division in the NEPL).
When the original Pyramid system collapsed the the NEPL advertised for team to join their set up to form a 1st Division (originally known as NEPL2). This is when Sacriston applied to join the NEPL set up along my club Eppleton and other clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back