Platini

Shock horror, given it's been clear him and blatter have been up to their necks in corruption for years.

We don’t have the facilities to host a World Cup at the minute. Was listening to a discussion about it last week. It’s to do with media centres at grounds and space for the media trucks etc. Would be huge work involved and not enough time.

I don’t believe this for one second. We’ve held champions league games all over the country, wembleys hosting the semis and final of Euro 2020 and the premier league is one of the biggest and most watched leagues in the world broadcast every week. We’ve hosted the olympics and a few CL finals too in recent years. The facilities are definitely there and able to be perfected in 3 years.

I don’t believe this for one second. We’ve held champions league games all over the country, wembleys hosting the semis and final of Euro 2020 and the premier league is one of the biggest and most watched leagues in the world broadcast every week. We’ve hosted the olympics and a few CL finals too in recent years. The facilities are definitely there and able to be perfected in 3 years.

The stadiums are there, but they do need to be upgraded for media, he’s right.

The entire world’s football media (and a good amount of non football media) descends on a World Cup. There’s nothing else like it including the events you’ve listed. The Premier League doesn’t quite compare.

The written press and broadcast media from around the world is enormous.

Given the whole thing is a month-long TV event, it’s a very important factor. Probably the most important. If the media aren’t able to attend and bring it to the world, it might as well not happen.

They used to dictate 12 stadiums that hold at least 40k, I don’t know if that’s still the case but England would indeed be one of the few (perhaps only) that has this in place (well, just short - according to Wiki Hillsborough is 12th largest and holds 39.7). Perhaps you could use Celtic Park, Ibrox, Hampden, Millenium Stadium etc.

They also had a rule that any one city should have no more than two of the stadiums, so a minimum of six host cities. Of the English 12 there are 5 in London, 2 in Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sunderland, Sheffield and Birmingham. So it doesn’t meet that rule, but you’d probably toss that out.

In terms of facilities they’d probably all (Wembley aside) need pretty extensive upgrades, and some of them (Stamford Bridge for eg, maybe Old Trafford) don’t have much space for hosting armies of media or upgrading to fit them in.

It could be done but it’d be far from perfect. These things do have decade-long timeframes and lots of new builds for a reason.

It won't be taken off Qatar. It was always completely mad and corrupt - but it's got this far, so I can't see any changes now.

The stadiums are there, but they do need to be upgraded for media, he’s right.

The entire world’s football media (and a good amount of non football media) descends on a World Cup. There’s nothing else like it including the events you’ve listed. The Premier League doesn’t quite compare.

The written press and broadcast media from around the world is enormous.

Given the whole thing is a month-long TV event, it’s a very important factor. Probably the most important. If the media aren’t able to attend and bring it to the world, it might as well not happen.

They used to dictate 12 stadiums that hold at least 40k, I don’t know if that’s still the case but England would indeed be one of the few (perhaps only) that has this in place (well, just short - according to Wiki Hillsborough is 12th largest and holds 39.7). Perhaps you could use Celtic Park, Ibrox, Hampden, Millenium Stadium etc.

They also had a rule that any one city should have no more than two of the stadiums, so a minimum of six host cities. Of the English 12 there are 5 in London, 2 in Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sunderland, Sheffield and Birmingham. So it doesn’t meet that rule, but you’d probably toss that out.

In terms of facilities they’d probably all (Wembley aside) need pretty extensive upgrades, and some of them (Stamford Bridge for eg, maybe Old Trafford) don’t have much space for hosting armies of media or upgrading to fit them in.

It could be done but it’d be far from perfect. These things do have decade-long timeframes and lots of new builds for a reason.

It would be more than possible to make any upgrades needed in 3 years though. It’s not like we are talking about full stadium rebuilds. I think I read that Wembley and the Emirates would already meet FIFA’s specifications so there’s two already. I don’t know what the likes of Tottenham’s new stadium is like or Man City’s but its definitely not an impossible task in 3 years.

Would be superb if he got the bullet mind, maybe the start of a big change for the game though I won't hold my breath for it.

I'm kind of looking forward to the qatar world cup. I'll only b3 watching it at home so couldn't give a fuck where it's held. And a winter world cup will be quite interesting

I’d normally agree mate but the more I’m reading, the more I’m confident that he’ll actually get done here.

It’s the worst kept secret that the governing bodies are corrupt as fuck. I can only imagine that he’s pissed someone off and they’ve dropped him in the shit. That tends to be the only way sufficient info to prosecute becomes available. Otherwise they’ll close ranks and sweep it under the carpet.
have to agree. amazing the amount of doors that open when somebody cracks but we need that person(s) to crack and spill the beans as otherwise your right its under the carpet.

Back