Plastic Pitch Matches in the 80's

Mr.Thunders

Striker
As I never saw Sunderland play away at QPR,Luton or Oldham during the plastic pitch era ,and dont recall a tv match that we played,can any of the more vintage posters remember how different it was?

Was it much of an advantage to the home team?

Did teams keep it on the deck more and avoid sliding tackles?

As I never saw Sunderland play away at QPR,Luton or Oldham during the plastic pitch era ,and dont recall a tv match that we played,can any of the more vintage posters remember how different it was?

Yep all the teams who had them all had very good home records
Seem to recall us beating Luton away though, maybe a 1-1 draw at oldham ?

QPR's was particularly appalling, it was like playing on concrete apparently.

We got beat 7-0 on it once.

I've no idea why any team was allowed to install them to start with.

I played on one of the earlier pitches and my footy socks got friction burned. They got a hard plasticy bit on them where they had slid along the 'turf'. Not sure what my socks were made from, they were from the blue away kit around '85.

saw sunderland at oldham couple of times and at preston. bounce was main factor and was massive advantage to home side. drew at oldham and lost one and got 2-2 draw at preston with doyle sent off, think there was a bit bother that day.

QPR had a decent team back then.

They qualified for the UEFA Cup but they weren't allowed to play their home ties on the plastic pitch.

They had to play at Highbury which isn't even that close to their own ground.

QPR in 83, got beat 3-0 , throw ins galore, that and their subbuteo ground with shit away end, made it the worst away day ever at the time

I played one one of the old style plastic pitches that were covered in sand. Hated playing on it as you got a huge leg burn. I once fell over on said pitches and ruptured muscles in my leg and done my knee in. Evil things.

Back