Plastering Course in the north east........

arthursboy

Striker
Looking to leave my job after 30 years of fun, but don’t fancy sitting on my arse watching day time tv.
Looking at a few options and have had offers but nothing I’m wanting to do.
One of the options is training to plaster, but can’t see any course in the north east.
Residential courses in Yorkshire are available and further afield.
Anyone heard or recommend any courses for this in our area ?
Tried it in my house before and it was a disaster.

Looking to leave my job after 30 years of fun, but don’t fancy sitting on my arse watching day time tv.
One of the options is training to plaster, but can’t see any course in the north east.
Never get plastered in your own house mate

especially without a band aid.

I have a mate who did it, went nowhere as you’ll never get work until you’re good but you’ll never get good until you work. 🤷‍♂️

I think he travelled to Yorkshire mind
I’ve got a mate who buys/ sells houses, I’m sure he will allow me to practise my skills on the very cheap.

Just one of a few ideas, but bloody hell im not knackered yet, dont mind physical work and I’m aware how physical it actually is.
Looks like there is no courses up here anyway.

Just one of a few ideas, but bloody hell im not knackered yet, dont mind physical work and I’m aware how physical it actually is.
I appreciate you may not be knackered yet, but it is a hard game (young mans) If you did get trained would you be able to do enough each day to earn a wage? As for lugging 40 sheets of plasterboard up the stairs on each house- bugger that!!

A college in Gateshead used to do night classes in plastering. 1 night a week for 6 months I think.

Friend of my son did a course and I gave him his first job. Dot and dab boarding a utility room, then skim finish.

Done when I was away on holiday.

When I came back, and before I saw it, my son said 'sorry dad its not good'.

Had to get a proper plasterer in to put it right. When he saw it he said, 'was it Stevie Wonder wh did this'.

My advice would be dont try and take a shortcut into a trade that tradesmen have served a full apprenticeship learning.

Give @Barboza dh9 a shout
Good advice from a pro

It's not a matter of physical, it's down to how fast you can spread, you might get away with a few small private jobs, but you wouldn't stand a chance on site, you wouldn't make your bus fare home mate. most plastering is done on a price and the targets were pretty tight when I worked on the sites, be a lot tighter now I reckon.

done my course, 4 days down In Peterlee. It was called Beyond Learning or something like that. Was about 15 yr ago like.
Grafted all across north east for myself , working for different builders as well who got me in on recommendation. In the end I went back to what I’d always done when the recession hit and got back into factory work.
Enjoyed it but didn’t enjoy not being in secure employment.

Theres one at Team Valley I think.

I'm sure it was an evening college course.

If you are competent at a range of household jobs such as papering, painting, putting up shelves, shaving the bottoms off doors etc then you might do better as a handyman. Everyone I know is looking for someone trustworthy and competent to do small jobs in my case, putting up a safety gate, fitting a new door bell and shortening five doors. And one of the kitchen cupboard doors has decided it’s not going to close anymore. God knows what is wrong with It!

Hardest job in construction never get a tan and never seen a fat plasterer plenty other fat tradesmen including me
Hardest job in construction never get a tan and never seen a fat plasterer plenty other fat tradesmen including me

Back