Plastering Course in the north east........

What you do at moment ? Why want to change ?
Taking redundancy from the local car industry, final salary pension so don’t have to earn lots of cash.
Wouldn’t consider construction sites it would be private housing only.
Must admit you lot are convincing me that carrying dead bodies for the coop might be better.

Taking redundancy from the local car industry, final salary pension so don’t have to earn lots of cash.
Wouldn’t consider construction sites it would be private housing only.
Must admit you lot are convincing me that carrying dead bodies for the coop might be better.

was working in Sandown last year, bloke in the unit casually shouted ‘morning’ as he hoyed 2 bodies into his van. Fecking shat mesel.

Looking to leave my job after 30 years of fun, but don’t fancy sitting on my arse watching day time tv.
Looking at a few options and have had offers but nothing I’m wanting to do.
One of the options is training to plaster, but can’t see any course in the north east.
Residential courses in Yorkshire are available and further afield.
Anyone heard or recommend any courses for this in our area ?
Tried it in my house before and it was a disaster.
i work on sites day in day out and you do not see many old plasterers, its a young mans game tbh, you dont want to be doing it in your latter years as it is realy ,hard graft. on the plus side there is any amount of work and jobs on the side if you can do it. i can turn my hand to anything but plastering is one of them things iv never tried. if i did, imho i recon i could pick it up in a couple of weeks.

The bloke who plasters my house recently and in the past is over 65 years young, ex council worker and his work is class.
Lives in Seaburn some of you may know him.
He’s a great bloke also.
He manages it ok, that where my thoughts were.
I’ve a few other options but it’s essentially either working for myself or a job I enjoy part time.

I did my living room.

Took three times longer than it would have taken a pro, then the about same amount of time sanding down the lumps and bumps.

Saved me money I didn't have at the time though.

But if you done it again it'd be better

Wish I could do stuff like this, but I don't have the patience or skill. Even painting I can't be arsed with

The bloke who plasters my house recently and in the past is over 65 years young, ex council worker and his work is class.
Lives in Seaburn some of you may know him.
He’s a great bloke also.
He manages it ok, that where my thoughts were.
I’ve a few other options but it’s essentially either working for myself or a job I enjoy part time.
This should tell you everything you need to know... ;)

If you are competent at a range of household jobs such as papering, painting, putting up shelves, shaving the bottoms off doors etc then you might do better as a handyman. Everyone I know is looking for someone trustworthy and competent to do small jobs in my case, putting up a safety gate, fitting a new door bell and shortening five doors. And one of the kitchen cupboard doors has decided it’s not going to close anymore. God knows what is wrong with It!

:lol: And that is why people shouldn't get oddjob men in to do anything other than the very simplest of jobs.
On the plastering front, what Teed said a couple of posts up. And its not a healthy job either. Lots of plaster dust and heavy lifting.

Looking to leave my job after 30 years of fun, but don’t fancy sitting on my arse watching day time tv.
One of the options is training to plaster, but can’t see any course in the north east.

Most plasteres these days start off by being a plasterers labourer then pick it up eventually from there.
Regardless if you go on a course or not this is what you will need to do .

If it was me I’d go do the course then look to be a plasterers lab and take it from there.

It’s going to be a 5-10 year process before you are worth a light.Can you do that .?

Just one of a few ideas, but bloody hell im not knackered yet, dont mind physical work and I’m aware how physical it actually is.
Looks like there is no courses up here anyway.
I did one in Ashington many many years ago. Not to take it up as a trade, just so I could plaster walls up after installing sockets etc. Walls are piss easy, ceilings are a nightmare. It's a black art.

6 month course and think you are time served. Hmmm
I can see trouble ahead. Especially if you take a job and end up out your debth and end on channel 5 and rouge builders.

on another note tmc in wallsend. Part of Tyne metropolitan college used to do all the trade coursss. But it may be just for people on day release from graft on an apprenticeship.

Sunderland college do a course. 2 levels. 6 weeks each at £100 a course iirc.

Couple of joiners on our firm in their late 20s n early 30s are thinking of getting into the train driving lark. They’ve an “in” who can help. They’ve seen what the building game did to their dads and......hmmmm.....well me I suppose and a couple of the other idiots who nivver had the sense to jump ship earlier.
Best of luck to them.

Anyone thinking of getting into the building game at 50 wants fuckin locking up for their own good. Sorry to be so abrupt but it’s the truth.
I did one in Ashington many many years ago. Not to take it up as a trade, just so I could plaster walls up after installing sockets etc. Walls are piss easy, ceilings are a nightmare. It's a black art.
Toupret is your friend

Last edited:

Back