Plastering an outhouse...

Makcem Crihs

Midfield
I've basically got a timber frame structure built on to the back of my house, it's a glorified shed really but it's got our washing machine and tumble dryer in as it's built on to the kitchen.

It's a very poor structure and it's always freezing and it's got wood panels on the inside

I'm looking to spruce it up so the obvious option would be plaster board and get it skimmed

Only thing I'm thinking is when we got our new boiler I wanted it in there so it was out of the way but they said it would be to cold in the winter and condensation would be an issue

Silly question but would this affect it being skimmed? Damp etc?

Only other option would be some nice (I know it's shit) cladding to make it more appealing on the eye

I've asked my husband before anyone asks and my lass (no) doesn't know

I've basically got a timber frame structure built on to the back of my house, it's a glorified shed really but it's got our washing machine and tumble dryer in as it's built on to the kitchen.

It's a very poor structure and it's always freezing and it's got wood panels on the inside

I'm looking to spruce it up so the obvious option would be plaster board and get it skimmed

Only thing I'm thinking is when we got our new boiler I wanted it in there so it was out of the way but they said it would be to cold in the winter and condensation would be an issue

Only other option would be some nice (I know it's shit) cladding to make it more appealing on the eye

Knock ot down and start again mate

as long as you have som kind of heat and ventilation in their you can avoid condensation. you will need to insulate the walls before boarding it out. I'd also suggest a vapour barrier or at least foilback boards to prevent any damp getting into the boards from behind.

What’s on the walls externally?

Couple of things.
Do you have planning permission for it? Some councils can be really tight on things like this.
And secondly, I'd give consideration to knocking it down and starting again. Find as many bricks as you can and start building it up.
There'll always be leftover bricks from people's builds

If it's a solid build then plaster board it ans plaster away, but if theres any damp or movement in the structure at all, it's comes down or crack, plasters like that.

If the walls are solid use a plastic insulation (the foil stuff) which will help with moisture.

But basically once the wood ages and bows, the plaster will come down.

How about bathroom cladding like Aquaboard?

Couple of things.
Do you have planning permission for it? Some councils can be really tight on things like this.
And secondly, I'd give consideration to knocking it down and starting again. Find as many bricks as you can and start building it up.
There'll always be leftover bricks from people's builds

Planning permission, no. It was here when I bought the house

Knocking it down and rebuilding isn't am option, that would put in in the thousands of £ to get done, I need it doing in the hundreds for now

If it's a solid build then plaster board it ans plaster away, but if theres any damp or movement in the structure at all, it's comes down or crack, plasters like that.

If the walls are solid use a plastic insulation (the foil stuff) which will help with moisture.

But basically once the wood ages and bows, the plaster will come down.

How about bathroom cladding like Aquaboard?

Yeah think it makes more sense to clad it

Back