Plans revealed for historic city centre buildings

What history? The town hall demolished in 1971?
Sunderland was littered with historical buildings that have been flattened. The buildings that used to be down high street knocked down and replaced by new flats. With a bit of investment, places like the Bonded Warehouse would make lovely homes but instead out industrial history was demolished. Cardiff dock, London’s dock lands Glasgow, Newcastle etc show what can be done if you want it. And the town hall.

Sunderland was littered with historical buildings that have been flattened. The buildings that used to be down high street knocked down and replaced by new flats. With a bit of investment, places like the Bonded Warehouse would make lovely homes but instead out industrial history was demolished. Cardiff dock, London’s dock lands Glasgow, Newcastle etc show what can be done if you want it. And the town hall.

I’m not aware of which buildings you are referring to but do agree that former industrial warehouses look great as refurbishments for residential, offices or food/beverage. It’s shame that some of the buildings weren’t kept, even on the Vaux site just to give a bit of characters amongst new development.

Bonded warehouse is now been used as office space I believe. It’s good that tombola are down that way and using some of the historic buildings and build quality new buildings. The student accommodation down there isn’t great nor are the apartments.

Flattened by a conservative council.

You wouldn't get many places at the bonded warehouse site, they'd have to be flats and they wouldn't be that big. Cardiff dock is really good, was built using ERDF money. That's obviously never going to happen now.

Flattened by a conservative council.

You wouldn't get many places at the bonded warehouse site, they'd have to be flats and they wouldn't be that big. Cardiff dock is really good, was built using ERDF money. That's obviously never going to happen now.

Also many other towns and cities have similarly demolished buildings, Sunderland is not alone in that respect. It would have been good for some of the warehouses to have been kept, there are some such as railway stables, Wylam wharf, but they are few and far between.

Dave calling someone miserable is amusing mind. I don't think I've ever seen the lad smile :lol:

Deserves massive credit though for what they're doing and have done with Poprecs.

Hahahaha. This made me chuckle.
I’ve been off Facewhore for well over a year, and see he’s still spending his time arguing with people in the Sunderland Echo comments section.
Never understood my ‘friends’ on there who liked spending so much time arguing with strangers.

When will there be a pedestrian tunnel going from Sunderland station to park lane? something for council leaders to think about in future.

Hahahaha. This made me chuckle.
I’ve been off Facewhore for well over a year, and see he’s still spending his time arguing with people in the Sunderland Echo comments section.
Never understood my ‘friends’ on there who liked spending so much time arguing with strangers.
He screamed at me at a Frankie and the Heartstrings gig once because I shouted "Steevo Steevo" at my mate who played bass for them cos it was his birthday. Had to laugh really :lol:

I was probably being an annoying kernt tbf like

Good news I suppose but hardly big potatoes, the retail units linked to the travelodge on that street have never been filled. We have to hope that a critical mass of activity begins to have some good knock-on effects and revitalises an area that has been stagnating for too long.

Back