Planking, benefits?

Jon Dough

Winger
Anyone do planking over a period of time, notice the benefits? I just did 15km run and sweating like fuck, the mats were empty so I thought planking, I will give it a go, I lasted 1 minute 35 seconds and was shaking uncontrollably 🙄 is that normal?

Anyone do planking over a period of time, notice the benefits? I just did 15km run and sweating like fuck, the mats were empty so I thought planking, I will give it a go, I lasted 1 minute 35 seconds and was shaking uncontrollably 🙄 is that normal?
I run a lot and do a two minute plank every other day as part of S&C routine.

I certainly feel it helps. It’s normal to shake too, particularly when you’re starting

Thanks lads, I will incorporate it into my gym workout, I was a bit shocked at the shaking as I am in reasonable shape, all part and parcel I guess, thanks once again.

Thanks lads, I will incorporate it into my gym workout, I was a bit shocked at the shaking as I am in reasonable shape, all part and parcel I guess, thanks once again.
I started doing this at the end of my ab workouts. I am up to 1 minute and 40s and I have been increasing by 10seconds each time and it is very trying. I am probably going to stick at 1:40 for now until it becomes to easy then start increasing by 10 seconds again.

Last edited:
I do triangle (diamond) pressups with my feet on a bench as a tie-in/crossover between chest and tricep workouts. Sets of 15 so not in position that long, I had never thought to time it, I will do so out of curiosity.

Yes, much better than sit ups, crunches etc.

Side planks are a b@stard.

I used to do 100 weighted crunches at the gym 3 times per week and didn't really notice any difference in my abdominal area.

Might have to give these a go.

I used to do 100 weighted crunches at the gym 3 times per week and didn't really notice any difference in my abdominal area.

Might have to give these a go.
Never, ever use resistance on your abs. Why would anyone want to thicken their waist? If you cannot see your abs it isn't that they need developing, it is that you are carrying a bit of timber. The amount of fat lads I see in gyms using the weighted ab machine....

Never, ever use resistance on your abs. Why would anyone want to thicken their waist? If you cannot see your abs it isn't that they need developing, it is that you are carrying a bit of timber. The amount of fat lads I see in gyms using the weighted ab machine....

I'm not clued up enough on the science of it, is that a bad thing?

Planks and Pallof Presses with regularity will give you some serious strength. One factor in a lot of postural issues and back pain is that a lot of people don't have a strong enough 'core'.

Can it help with lower back etc? I read it works a shit ton of muscles...

how often is best to do them ?

It can help strengthen your core and also help with lower back pain. I do it 3 times per week in a core workout I do on a Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
Having a strong core will definitely help decrease the chances of injury also when lifting heavy and a lot of people neglect their core.

It can help strengthen your core and also help with lower back pain. I do it 3 times per week in a core workout I do on a Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
Having a strong core will definitely help decrease the chances of injury also when lifting heavy and a lot of people neglect their core.

Core work out? What does that consist of?
Sorry for all the questions, I’m taking on a new drumming project for the summer and think I’ll need to get as strong as poss...have really overlooked all this in the past.

Core work out? What does that consist of?
Sorry for all the questions, I’m taking on a new drumming project for the summer and think I’ll need to get as strong as poss...have really overlooked all this in the past.
They will train your pelvis, hips, abs and lower back to help you exercise more safely as you will have better balance and be more stable in most physical exercises. I have only been involved in fitness for 8 months but the first thing my PT did was work on my core before putting me onto heavier weights.

They will train your pelvis, hips, abs and lower back to help you exercise more safely as you will have better balance and be more stable in most physical exercises. I have only been involved in fitness for 8 months but the first thing my PT did was work on my core before putting me onto heavier weights.
I’ll look into that, thanks for the info.
I don’t want to bulk up, just need a strong back and, well everything really...

I’ll look into that, thanks for the info.
I don’t want to bulk up, just need a strong back and, well everything really...

That is fine I tend to do 30-40 minutes on a morning doing situps with a one arm raise holding a kettlebell, leg raises, press ups, russian twists, planking, kettlebell side bends, kettlebell squat press and kettlebell side swings. They're all really simple to do for beginners like myself.

Last edited:

Back