Plane Etiquette

Same happened to me back from our honeymoon. Some French hewa lashed his seat back as I was tucking into my chicken and roasted vegetable pasta. I said 'WEAY AYE' to him and he turned around and didn't apologise. I spent the next 6 hours of the flight randomly kneeing the back of his chair and apologising.

Little wanker. Wouldnt have minded if he asked but in answer to your question, I wouldn't do it myself.
Nightmare isnt it! Well none of us reclinded ours as it wouldnt be fair on those behind (and their seats were up against a plastic partition so doubt they could have anyway). Just rude. I might try the random kneeing on the way home if they are there again.

Last edited:

I've never had a problem with people reclining on planes, especially long haul, your're not gonna stay fully upright for 12 hours. The polite thing to do though is ensure that the people behind have finished eating/drinking before reclining.

This all the way.

The recline feature is built for a purpose, but it's good etiquette to perhaps be friendly with those behind and let them know when you're going to recline.

On a flight to Thailand I paid extra for a certain seat. The woman behind me complained to the staff that she can’t have me recline my seat as she wouldn’t be able to get up and about because of her knees.
I was so annoyed, I’d have been less angry and possibly have sympathy for her if she’d asked me straight up and explained why, instead she made a big deal and called me out in front of everyone in ear shot...

I once had a baby on my lap and someone in front reclined the seat so we didn't have room to use our seat. He went in a right huff when the stewardess said he must keep the seat upright so the baby had enough room. It was a short haul daytime flight as well.

Did our first long haul flight for 13 years on Wednesday. Was dreading it but it was actually ok and thankfully our kids behaved.

However I found it incredibly annoying and rude that the man in front reclined his chair for about 10 hours 45 mins of the 11 hour journey. Thus leaving me feeling claustraphobic and rather pee'd off. His partner did the same also in the seat next to him. And they were necking on too!! 🤬 Ergh!

Spoke to an air hostess and she said there was nothing we could do. I ended up swopping seats with kids but still not great.

Have you encountered passengers who have done the same, or other annoying acts on a plane, and did you do anything about it?

They had better not be sitting in front of us on the way home!!!

Did you think about asking HIM to put his seat back up? Or did you think complaining on the SMB after the event was the way to solve it?

On a flight to Thailand I paid extra for a certain seat. The woman behind me complained to the staff that she can’t have me recline my seat as she wouldn’t be able to get up and about because of her knees.
I was so annoyed, I’d have been less angry and possibly have sympathy for her if she’d asked me straight up and explained why, instead she made a big deal and called me out in front of everyone in ear shot...
fuck that, I wouldnt be having that. I think my seat would've "slipped" back on a number of occasions, particularly when she was having her dinner!

surely when she wanted to get up you could've just put the seat up? Was there really any need to stop you reclining for the whole flight?

Last edited:
Nightmare isnt it! Well none of us reclinded ours as it wouldnt be fair on those behind (and their seats were up against a plastic partition so doubt they could have anyway). Just rude. I might try the random kneeing on the way home if they are there again.
That's the thing mate, if you wouldn't like it done to yourself, don't do it to others.
Daft sod kept nodding off until my knees spammed out of control :cool:

Back