Plane Etiquette

Did our first long haul flight for 13 years on Wednesday. Was dreading it but it was actually ok and thankfully our kids behaved.

However I found it incredibly annoying and rude that the man in front reclined his chair for about 10 hours 45 mins of the 11 hour journey. Thus leaving me feeling claustraphobic and rather pee'd off. His partner did the same also in the seat next to him. And they were necking on too!! 🤬 Ergh!

Spoke to an air hostess and she said there was nothing we could do. I ended up swopping seats with kids but still not great.

Have you encountered passengers who have done the same, or other annoying acts on a plane, and did you do anything about it?

They had better not be sitting in front of us on the way home!!!

I once reclined my seat. I didn't really think about it but the response I got from the lass behind meant I learned quickly. I told her to fuck off though and left it reclined. She swore at me first instead of just asking me if I would put it back up.

Flying back from Singapore, the lass in front reclined her seat. Then complained that my knees were sticking into her back. Asked her what do I do , cut my legs off. She complained to the air hostess ,who told me I shouldn't stick my knees I into the back of the chair . So I asked her for a chain saw so I could cut my legs off and she stormed off in the huff.

I once had a baby on my lap and someone in front reclined the seat so we didn't have room to use our seat. He went in a right huff when the stewardess said he must keep the seat upright so the baby had enough room. It was a short haul daytime flight as well.

Duration or time of flight doesn't matter, as some people may need to grab even a few hours kip whenever they can.

Economy is shite on most airlines now, they cram too many seats in as they want more cash.

FWIW I never recline my seat in economy, just get up to stretch my legs now and then. Reclining doesn't add much extra comfort IMO.

The OP for example.
Not at the expense of someone else's surely?!
He might be 60 and his kids in their late 30s but assuming hes not and they're not, aye you're right!
He is a she, and my kids are 11 and 4 😁
Flying back from Singapore, the lass in front reclined her seat. Then complained that my knees were sticking into her back. Asked her what do I do , cut my legs off. She complained to the air hostess ,who told me I shouldn't stick my knees I into the back of the chair . So I asked her for a chain saw so I could cut my legs off and she stormed off in the huff.
😂😂

Last edited:
I once reclined my seat. I didn't really think about it but the response I got from the lass behind meant I learned quickly. I told her to fuck off though and left it reclined. She swore at me first instead of just asking me if I would put it back up.
I did that on an overnight to Bangkok. French bloke behind me went light so i told him to fuck right off id paid for my seat and would do what the fuck i wanted with it ( i hate the french on aircraft they travel like adolescents) . His ( canny looking ) lass was much more conciliatory and asked if perhaps i wouldn't put it right back as her husband was tall and its a long flight. " Of course Madame, ce nest pas problem ( rodney ). Then i looked at him as if to say "be nice next time frog and you might get somewhere " :lol: .

I did that on an overnight to Bangkok. French bloke behind me went light so i told him to fuck right off id paid for my seat and would do what the fuck i wanted with it ( i hate the french on aircraft they travel like adolescents) . His ( canny looking ) lass was much more conciliatory and asked if perhaps i wouldn't put it right back as her husband was tall and its a long flight. " Of course Madame, ce nest pas problem ( rodney ). Then i looked at him as if to say "be nice next time frog ¢unt and you might get somewhere " :lol: .
I was taken back by how aggressive she was that and aggressive response was all I could give back even though I am usually quite laid back. Her and her mate sat in silence for the whole flight afterwards.

Hang on, you created this thread complaining about feeling a "bit claustrophobic" because someone in front reclined the seat back 3-4 inches.

Why should the person in front of you be expected to put your emotions above their physical comfort?

Because it is just rather rude. Why should his physical comfort go before my mental wellbeing, especially on such a long flight?

Because it is just rather rude. Why should his physical comfort go before my mental wellbeing, especially on such a long flight?

Plane etiquette allows someone to recline their seat. There are options available to you if you have specific needs.

You expecting some random to facilitate your personality hangup is rude.

Coach is fine but if someone moves their seat back a couple of inches your claustrophobia kicks in? :confused:

I can understand it being less than ideal, but flying is less than ideal to start with. If it's that bad don't do long haul.

Basically everyone is just trying to get from A to B on long hauls , its a necessary ball ache and a bit of give and take goes a long way . Its them that think they've bought some kind of experience and demand every last possibility out of it , like having the seat back every minute ( or moaning if you put yours back to sleep overnight)that get on my tripe . Its just transport , if you're tired and need sleep put it back no argument , if you're thinking its your plane fuck off.

Last edited:
It's an absolute pisser if your tall like me. Came back from Trinidad on an overnight flight a couple of months back....the bloke sitting in front of me thankfully didn't recline.
In any case the legroom was f***ing shocking (BA) I've had more room on a bog standard easyjet flight.
I'm not even 5ft10 and find it a ballache. If I was lanky I probably wouldn't bother or I'd pay for more legroom (not for the bairn or the Mrs obviously)

Back