Places you felt most on edge in your life

I was on my own most of the time.

Had my card snatched out of my hand in McDonald's on Adderley my last day there. Nowt taken cos I cancelled it ASAP.

V&A Waterfront was sound as was Camps Bay.
I found parts of it daunting, but there were plenty of safe areas too. I did get 'kidnapped' in one of the beep beep VW van taxis that I'd always avoided using. Me and a mate were rat arsed and just wanted to get back to Seapoint in a hurry. We bundled in the back only to realise there were 4 or 5 local lads already in there. They wouldn't let us out at the hotel unless we paid the equivalent of around £50 each instead of the £5 or so that it should have cost.

Really good thread but I’ve noticed the vast majority of ‘edgy’ places have resulted in thankfully zero harm coming to the person ( myself included) Who has been.

Be interesting to know how many were actually dangerous and how many were doing to just paranoia / reputation and were actually fine ?

Really good thread but I’ve noticed the vast majority of ‘edgy’ places have resulted in thankfully zero harm coming to the person ( myself included) Who has been.

Be interesting to know how many were actually dangerous and how many were doing to just paranoia / reputation and were actually fine ?

Only place I've actually had bother was around my estate as a kid. Felt uneasy in plenty places though.

Only place I've actually had bother was around my estate as a kid. Felt uneasy in plenty places though.

Same ( thankfully ). I’ve been to plenty of places where at time I’ve felt uneasy but can’t remember if they actually were or I was just overthinking it. The fact nothing ever happened suggests the latter maybe.
Suppose it’s similar to rough bars. Been in hundreds and can’t remember ever getting bother.

Same ( thankfully ). I’ve been to plenty of places where at time I’ve felt uneasy but can’t remember if they actually were or I was just overthinking it. The fact nothing ever happened suggests the latter maybe.
Suppose it’s similar to rough bars. Been in hundreds and can’t remember ever getting bother.

Part of it is just unfamiliarity. I've never had any bother in any pubs or clubs other than Bentleys/Pzazz/Passion/Illusions (delete as appropriate).

Very small fry compared to some on here, but on the walk from some boozer (that was akin to something from Shameless) in East Manchester to the Etihad I was a bit on edge. No bother though.

And they say Sunderland is rough...

My old man and I used to park in Southwick before the match. My dad used to say it was like Beverly Hills compared to some places he went on business.

God where to start.

In this country, Bulwell in Nottingham, St Paul’s in Bristol, probably moor street station at 1 AM after I missed my train stop. Honourable mention to Bournemouth when I got lost after a night out.

Like others I hated San Francisco but that’s more disappointment in the place then fear. Far worse in the US has been near the airport in Atlanta and taking a wrong turn in Kissimmee

Also made the mistake of getting the train from Charles De Gaulle to Paris Nord through the Northern suburbs.

Athens, Parma got lost in a shit hole. Valley of the kings.

But to top it all, Mauritania. Hell on Earth.

My uncle loves to retell a similar story.

About 10 or so years ago he was walking his shitzus round the block at night in west Houston where he's lived for decades, out of the corner of his eye he can see a car crawling along just behind him but he ignores it. Next thing the blue lights go on and he turns around; Constable gets out and asks what he's doing, tells them (in his Mackem / Texan drawl mix) that he's walking his dogs and that he lives round the corner. The constable asks if he's armed and he says no, he's not. The Constable advises him that he probably should be then gets back in his patrol car and drives off. :eek:

Had a Texas cop told me the same. I'd driven into Amarillo (wew!) at night and a car with tinted windows had been driving erratically, passing me then cutting me off and riding the brakes...then pulling onto the shoulder...then behind me with high beams on...etc.

At 7-11 to grab a few beer and got into a conversation with a couple of folks, one of whom was this cop who asked me if I had a gun..."nope"..."you oughtta get one."

As for an edgy place, Detroit was a place I kept my head down.

Parts of Los Angeles are scary as fuck. Had a fancy white Chevrolet rental car provided by the company when was working over there and it used to attract the wrong sort of attention. Ended up living in a sketchy motel called The Sahara on Sunset Boulevard (not as nice as it sounds), and the local gangbanger used to say to me every day 'hey ese, can I borrow your car'... 'let me borrow your car man'... as they all hung around in the car park. f***ing awful.

Next one was when went down to an LA Galaxy game and got lost (before the days of sat nav). Anyway lots of dodgy looking Hispanics around and considering we must have been less than a mile from the stadium, nobody seemed to know where it was or seemed in any way willing to help as we slowed by the side walk to ask directions. Kept going back in the direction we thought it was and ended up winding the window down and asking a lady in the car next to us (a beaten up old 4x4) at the traffic lights. She said follow me and I will point you in the right direction. So we follow her up the road and she waves for us to pull up beside her again at the next lights. She winds the window down and says... 'see that bridge back there (which was about 100m back), promise me you boys will never go past that again in your rental car' :lol:

El Paso is also an interesting place! Got questioned by two detectives about my whereabouts the previous night as had been a murder in the house opposite where I was staying :eek:

America is mad.

Also special mention to London (in particular parts of Brixton) and St Lucia as someone else has mentioned.

Around the train station. Long Street, Bree Street, Government Walk.

Only had two people hassling me on Long Street. The first one took the hint straight away but the second followed me for a couple of blocks before they finally understood what fuck off meant. Called me "white trash" afterwards which cut me to the bone. This was up by the Beerhouse.

Barcelona three years ago, me and Mrs Sombrero we’re walking towards the Ramblas for some bait. Some bloke came up to me wanting to “salsa” or something, I told him where to go. He came back and I felt his had go into my back pocket so I took a swing at him. He must have been expecting it and was pretty quick to get out the way. After something to eat, we walked back towards the hotel, six lads about 20 year old come towards us asking for a light. One of them grabbed my arm trying to get my watch off, and a “struggle” ensued. They had got between me and the wife, but she was shouting so loud, it attracted attention. Anyway the buggered off. 100 yards up the road three blokes on motor bikes stopped in front of us, I thought, f***ing hell, here we go again. But one of them said, we saw what happened there and apologised on behalf of the decent people of Barcelona. Could have given us a hand like. This all happened within the first two hours of getting there. Covered in bruises the next day.
coppers know it happens all the time and seem to do nowt about it.

Last edited:
Only had two people hassling me on Long Street. The first one took the hint straight away but the second followed me for a couple of blocks before they finally understood what fuck off meant. Called me "white trash" afterwards which cut me to the bone. This was up by the Beerhouse.

Got accosted by a lady of the night half way up Long Street and once in the Dubliner. I was guessing the doorman was her pimp cos he encouraged her in and to come over (nee doubt rang her up to tell her there was a potential customer just came in anarl).

Had some scrote trying open a pocket on me rucksack while it was on me back on Bree Street. There was nowt in anyway cos the concierge in the hotel had already warned me about that trick. He gave me some abuse when I told him to fuck off too.

Belize City New years eve 1985.
Got lost looking for a taxi, car full of ypung lads drove past me three times, the third time shouting that they where going to cut me up.
Managed to sprint to a cop shop and got them to get me a taxi.
Sat waiting for the taxi whilst all around me where locals with varying degrees of knife/machete injuries.
Absolutely horrendous night in a horrendous part of the world.

God where to start.

In this country, Bulwell in Nottingham, St Paul’s in Bristol, probably moor street station at 1 AM after I missed my train stop. Honourable mention to Bournemouth when I got lost after a night out.

Like others I hated San Francisco but that’s more disappointment in the place then fear. Far worse in the US has been near the airport in Atlanta and taking a wrong turn in Kissimmee

Also made the mistake of getting the train from Charles De Gaulle to Paris Nord through the Northern suburbs.

Athens, Parma got lost in a shit hole. Valley of the kings.

But to top it all, Mauritania. Hell on Earth.
Bournemouth?

Tunisia el kantoui just got this uneasy feeling walking about and locals following you cars slowing down then speeding away...1st day of the holiday the rep advised everyone not to go out of the hotel after dark probably standard stuff but a bit of an eye opener...this was about 2 year before the shootings

Back