Places you felt most on edge in your life

Was thinking about this earlier that although there are some grim parts of the North East theres nowhere that I've ever felt particularly in danger which is something we often take for granted.

The only 2 places I've ever been where I've genuinely been totally on edge are:

Once stayed with a friend in Manor Park for a week, I hear its improved a bit now but was like something from Top Boy at the time.

Only topped by a suburb of Istanbul that I once ended up in after getting lost. Advised by a local to leave quickly.

Thats the only 2 for me although I imagine most of these sorts of places you'd never have a reason to visit unless you lived there. My mate who's done a lot of travelling in Europe reckons the worst he's seen was a suburb in North Paris which was like armageddon.

Interested to know what other peoples experiences have been

Easterhouse Glasgow, stayed with a good m8 who I met through work, f***ing scary as owt, Sinn Fein collection boxes in the pubs, midnight watched a fight from bedroom window on a motorway, they had samurai swords!!! Kept being asked if I was a squaddie and my m8 had to keep answering for me cos they hated the English nearly as much as Protestants. It was f***ing awful.

Easterhouse Glasgow, stayed with a good m8 who I met through work, f***ing scary as owt, Sinn Fein collection boxes in the pubs, midnight watched a fight from bedroom window on a motorway, they had samurai swords!!! Kept being asked if I was a squaddie and my m8 had to keep answering for me cos they hated the English nearly as much as Protestants. It was f***ing awful.
This was the same in Manor Park also huge squads of lads with neckerchiefs on most street corners. Sad thing was most mornings you'd walk past freshly laid flowers on the way to the tube. The Olympic regeneration improved it slightly from what I've heard

Last edited:
Nightclub in Deventer Holland late 70s went with Dutch mate the admission ticket entitled you to a free drink and he went to bar while I stood in a corner within seconds 3 guys with knives appeared luckily he saw what was going on and intervened apparently as a stranger I stood out and was fair game

Stone Town in Zanzibar. I'd never really been to anywhere like it before. Woken up with prayers over tannoys at 5am every morning. Would have probably felt alright if I wasn't with me wife.

Got lost in Naples after a few too many drinks, I soon found out that it was not an ideal place for a half cut northern Englishman..

On a much lesser scale, previously working in a behavioural school in Bradford led me to some interesting spots when I had to do home visits.
My dad went there in the 80s and still talks about it now cars ramming each other on the road etc

Parts of Moscow and Riga were dodgy as fuck

Lagos is a bit unsettling
:eek: Fair play mate think that tops any of the others unless someone has recently been to Caracas:lol:
Tenderloin in San Francisco is grim. It’s really central too, so one minute you’re beside some nice building, then you take a wrong street and you’re in an absolute hell hole. It was getting dark when we were there too. We hurried away.
In San Fran I was once warned to not go down a street as a white man :eek:. Obviously as with any big city has some really bleak parts

Last edited:
Tenderloin in San Francisco is grim. It’s really central too, so one minute you’re beside some nice building, then you take a wrong street and you’re in an absolute hell hole. It was getting dark when we were there too. We hurried away.

I had a very similar experience of San Francisco, never visited a place with so many people living on the streets.

In the san siro.

Got tickets and lad who got us them told us we were in with the inter fans as it was classed as their home game. Turned out we were right in the middle of the AC fans in their away end.

Very on edge I was, we managed to leave and make our way to the very top of the stadium where there were mixed fans and was a lot calmer.

The walk back to the car was also a bit scary.

Back