Places you didn't like on holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just came back from Split, was decent, not amazing but only there for 5 days, seafood was great, 33degrees constantly, hit 35 at the highest. Did Krka park which was heaving but still canny. Blue Caves were amazing. There's a park up at the back of the old town which is well shaded and allows for dogs. People have trouble walking in a straight line, it snows fit women, we hired an apartment on air bnb and it was great, lassy that ran it was lovely too. Cheap food and drinks, nice Roman history and architecture. But i was pretty bored on the 5th day tbh. Beaches are mostly rocky, there's a couple of sandy ones but they're rammed. Took the bus to Bene which was pretty nice.

Noticed a lot of graffiti mind, none of it particularly 'arty' had a look to the Hadjuk Split stadium as well, was a bit meh.
Just came back from Split and we loved it. Only stopped there for 3 nights mind before moving on.

Warsaw for me, shite.

Went to Mostar last week, the bridge and the old town was canny but small, as soon as you get out of that it's a massive poverty shithole.

Loved Valencia, Seville & San Sebastián but can't get away with Barcelona tried 3 times I'm obviously missing something as many love it.

Fuetaventura. Only place ever as it was sprung on me by my wife who meant well and thought I needed a quiet break away after we had a rough few month.

Nothing at all worth doing, visiting, seeing or participating in.

Never ever go there it's a waste of time.

This ^
It's little more than a desert and with the prevailing winds off the Sahara sandblasting everything in sight and even blocking the roads with sand dunes, it's a nightmare.

From there I flew across to N. Tenerife, it was like landing in paradise in comparison.

Athens.

I don't like cities but fancied this because of the history. It was busy, loud and horrible. Mopeds rule there. If the traffic lights at a pedestrian crossing turn to red, no problem just mount the pavement, ride across the crossing with the pedestrians, go along the pavement at the other side, bounce off the kerb, cut diagonally across the road and be back on your way. If pedestrians are in your way doing this, go faster hammering your horn. They are also allowed in pedestrian only areas. We went to an outdoor cafe in one area and there was mopeds flying up and down the street between the rows of tables. Two lads stopped for a chat near our table, leaving us with the engines running right next to our heads while we tried to have a quiet meal. My main memory is the constant noise of traffic and smell of petrol.

We did take a boat trip around some of the islands and that was lovely. Otherwise it was the only holiday where we have chatted after a couple of days about leaving early.

Agree, Athens is not a very pleasant place, nor are many of its inhabitants too friendly.

The small islands are a total contrast in every respect.

Protaras
Playa del Ingles
Orlando, although loved other parts of Florida

Awful place.

I didn't reckon much of Gran Canaria at all.

The four Westerly Canary islands are all different and well worth a visit with the exception of the touristy areas of Tenerife.

Porec . Its now in Croatia and supposed to be beautiful now but I went when it was still Yugoslavia and hideous . Only a week but my god even that was more than . "Beach" was a couple of inches of sand on top of concrete. Hyperinflation as Yugosalvia was disintegrating . Oh and it pissed down most of the time :)

The Croatian coast is much better in every respect, the further South you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Calas de Majorca. We went on a 4 day cheapy holiday in September last year, the weather was mostly hot, largely cloudy with a bit of rain. The hotel was spot on but the poor weather meant we spent a fair bit of time in the town. Bar one decent bar / restaurant it's shit. Sort of a throw back 70's / 80's Spanish / British tat haven.

Tenerife. We went to Puerto del la Cruz for 4 days just after Xmas. The resort itself is OK but there's a long journey to it taking in most of the length of the island of Tenerife. Much of it is a concrete jungle, awful.

I like the other Canaries, both Lanzarote and Feurtaventura are quiet, decent for a drive and an explore.

Fuetaventura. Only place ever as it was sprung on me by my wife who meant well and thought I needed a quiet break away after we had a rough few month.

Nothing at all worth doing, visiting, seeing or participating in.

Never ever go there it's a waste of time.
I had a good holiday there. We had good accommodation, good food. The walks were lovely, the sea and sand were great. There was windsurfing for those who wanted it. Sun in February , great. Just choose holidays that suit you. Or make the most of what you get given.

Tunisia Port -el-kantouie 6 months later i would of been on that Beach with me family

Pal of mine was on the beach when it happened.
Shame as there wasn't much of interest apart from the beaches.

Our lass hopped on a camel for a photo while she thought its owner was away.
He turned up, got the camel up and demanded money before he would let her off again.
Last I saw of them that day, all three of them were trotting off into the sunset, while I headed in the opposite direction for a pint. :lol:

It was Ramadan and at evening meal the waiters all suddenly disappeared to go and stuff their faces.

We were in the back of a taxi and the driver had his head down between his knees while travelling along a busy road.
Brown trouser job ! :eek:

Playa del Ingels in Gran Canaria. Ex booked because he knew I love Spain.

Everyday was sleep until noon. Fried breakfast in English pub opposite. Lay round pool. Shower. Evening meal in English pub or Chinese or all you can eat buffet. Drinking in English and Irish pubs until early hours then bed.

Absolutely hated it and never want to go there again.
You missed the negatives from your review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back