Places you didn't like on holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTRsBM

Striker
Holidays seems to be the popular topic at the minute. From all the places I visited while travelling the only country I didn't like was Cambodia. Saying that everyone I've spoken to about it is really positive and enjoyed it. I think it's because I only visited Phnom Penh and Sirm Reap and people I talk to say the beaches in the south are amazing. However due to the 2 cities being shit I've no desire to visit other areas.

Drove round a little of Europe last summer: Mayrhofen (Austria), Dolomites, Cinque Terre, Genoa, Milan and Chamonix. Loved every place apart from Genoa - absolute pits that place was, apart from a tiny portion of the new harbour it was awful (don't be fooled by Google images, most of what comes up is near Genoa, but not Genoa). We cut our stay short as we booked into our room it was so bad. Complete contrast getting off metro in Milan right next to the Cathedral etc.

Drove round a little of Europe last summer: Mayrhofen (Austria), Dolomites, Cinque Terre, Genoa, Milan and Chamonix. Loved every place apart from Genoa - absolute pits that place was, apart from a tiny portion of the new harbour it was awful (don't be fooled by Google images, most of what comes up is near Genoa, but not Genoa). We cut our stay short as we booked into our room it was so bad. Complete contrast getting off metro in Milan right next to the Cathedral etc.
Actually you just reminded me I hated Pattaya. I had no idea what a shot hole it was. I'd paid online for 5 days in a hotel but left on the morning of day 3 and went back to Bangkok.

Some crappy few rooms in a house at the end of a country lane near Arrochar in Scotland during blackberry week in October 1978. Pissed down all week, absolutely nowt to do and we didn't even have a telly. The owners lived upstairs and I remember going up for a slash and they were watching top of the pops - we had a pack of cards and a set of dominoes for entertainment - paradise for an energetic teenager ... NOT! Mam what were you thinking?

Fuetaventura. Only place ever as it was sprung on me by my wife who meant well and thought I needed a quiet break away after we had a rough few month.

Nothing at all worth doing, visiting, seeing or participating in.

Never ever go there it's a waste of time.

Playa del Ingels in Gran Canaria. Ex booked because he knew I love Spain.

Everyday was sleep until noon. Fried breakfast in English pub opposite. Lay round pool. Shower. Evening meal in English pub or Chinese or all you can eat buffet. Drinking in English and Irish pubs until early hours then bed.

Absolutely hated it and never want to go there again.

Porec . Its now in Croatia and supposed to be beautiful now but I went when it was still Yugoslavia and hideous . Only a week but my god even that was more than . "Beach" was a couple of inches of sand on top of concrete. Hyperinflation as Yugosalvia was disintegrating . Oh and it pissed down most of the time :)

Everyday was sleep until noon. Fried breakfast in English pub opposite. Lay round pool. Shower. Evening meal in English pub or Chinese or all you can eat buffet. Drinking in English and Irish pubs until early hours then bed.

Gay capital as well

Protaras
Playa del Ingles
Orlando, although loved other parts of Florida

Awful place.

Caravan park called Sandylands in Saltcoats on the west coast of Scotland; caravans in regimented rows with views of the nuclear power station over the railway line. Just felt tired and depressed and not a patch on other parks we've been to

More to do with your ex being a knacker than the place itself?

Tenerife was a scruffy shit tip. Hated it.

you need to be specific to a resort cos some parts of tenerfie are lovely

Los Gigantes and up in the mountains.

if your referring to Playa las Americas then i would mostly agree but even there you can avoid the tat if you want

Athens.

I don't like cities but fancied this because of the history. It was busy, loud and horrible. Mopeds rule there. If the traffic lights at a pedestrian crossing turn to red, no problem just mount the pavement, ride across the crossing with the pedestrians, go along the pavement at the other side, bounce off the kerb, cut diagonally across the road and be back on your way. If pedestrians are in your way doing this, go faster hammering your horn. They are also allowed in pedestrian only areas. We went to an outdoor cafe in one area and there was mopeds flying up and down the street between the rows of tables. Two lads stopped for a chat near our table, leaving us with the engines running right next to our heads while we tried to have a quiet meal. My main memory is the constant noise of traffic and smell of petrol.

We did take a boat trip around some of the islands and that was lovely. Otherwise it was the only holiday where we have chatted after a couple of days about leaving early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back