pints in pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
w.as in spoons yesterday, bloke standing a couple of feet away from me had a pint handed to him by the barman and he started kicking off about the size of the head on his pint it was cringeworthy behaviour because the head was only about 1cm deep and the pint probably cost about 5p anyway. the barman then says its illegal to fill the glass right to the top and there has to be a head on it. who was in the right?

I have a mate who does this every time and it is cringeworthy, he also tries about 4 or 5 different real ales if we're in a real ale pub, I'm usually embarrassed by trying more than one and usually end up buying the first one I try, was it a lad about 40 drinking on his own?

Last edited:

erm if we all accepted getting less back than what we had paid for Remain might have "won"?

good point although I believe the owner of spoons was/is a strong leaver, so maybe in this case the chap in question was correct in demanding he receive value for his investment;)

good point although I believe the owner of spoons was/is a strong leaver, so maybe in this case the chap in question was correct in demanding he receive value for his investment;)
Yes indeed Tim was/is a supporter of leave! Spoons gaffer is a full on supporter of a full pint it seems and as a Camra member enjoy my 50p off vouchers:D:cool:

A pint without a head has been pulled wrong. Also tends to be stinkers who complain and want to get every last drop possible.

There should be a mark on the pint glass.

If the bloke had about 1 cm of head, then I'd suggest the beer reached the mark and the bloke should have shut up.

However, I've been served pints where an inexperienced barman has produce a third of a glass of head well below the mark. At that stage, any real ale person will tell you you're entitled to politely ask for the pint to be topped up.

I've found no problem asking for this in a free house pub serving real ale where it can be sorted without fuss.

That said, you might have difficulties in a city centre chain pub asking for a top up and if it's just a little bit then you can come across as a plonker if you ask for a top up in a busy bar. I've let as much as just under a half go to stop my mates whinging at me about making a fuss in a busy pub. I've never seen any of my mates ask for a top up as they are very much not the making a fuss type.

One place I've had difficulties is Lloyd's Bay on Newcastle Quayside, though they seem now to have got their act together.

Last edited by a moderator:
A big gripe for me is charging for a mixer on a pint* (lime, lemonade etc). Pubs and clubs that do this deserve to go bust. Increases the cost of a pint by 20% in the Blue Bell for absolutely nothing extra (they save money selling you a short pint of beer and replacing it with 2p worth of lemonade).

* Not summat that's done for me personally

A big gripe for me is charging for a mixer on a pint* (lime, lemonade etc). Pubs and clubs that do this deserve to go bust. Increases the cost of a pint by 20% in the Blue Bell for absolutely nothing extra (they save money selling you a short pint of beer and replacing it with 2p worth of lemonade).

* Not summat that's done for me personally
People that get mixers in their pint should be barred from all pubs anyway.

I'd always been of the impression that, in England, the head was included in the measure of a pint, but in Scotland the liquid should be a pint and the head is a bonus. Over the last couple of years I've learned this either is no longer or never has been the case in England, and I now wish I'd moaned about the pint of Paulaner I got in All Bar One in London in 2009 where the top of the head touched the pint line and there was about a centimetre of empty space at the top of the glass!

If I've paid £4+ for a pint and either (a) the head is too large or (b) the head has withered in the time it takes to get my change then I will ask for a top up.

I forget where I was in town recently but they put a whopping head on my beer and then used a spatula "continental style" to trim it down. It's a trend I will monitor.

I much prefer a 24oz glass and a measured pint with a decent head but the places where you get that tend to be dumps.
Look forward to that like

That must have been a fascinating job, not to mention quite pleasurable .

It was! I loved working there. I was only a YTS though and was gutted when they couldn't keep me on.

New brews was my favourite. They'd brew several batches and bring samples up. We'd add yeast and do a rapid fermentation then test them all and work out the best ones. They went to cask and the rest went to to keg.

erm are you sill merchandising;)

Yes still doing that now.

Reactions: PTR
Er? What story?

Also, i don't think I've ever noticed you name here before, i guess you're a corner poster with a new name?
*former*. lol nice typo

It was! I loved working there. I was only a YTS though and was gutted when they couldn't keep me on.

New brews was my favourite. They'd brew several batches and bring samples up. We'd add yeast and do a rapid fermentation then test them all and work out the best ones. They went to cask and the rest went to to keg.
That the exact job I should have done. Hindsight is a bitch

Don't they make some glasses bigger to accommodate a head anyway?

I remember when Magners did a bigger glass to accomodate a pint and ice cubes, imagine my happiness when the barmaid gave me my lager in one....full to the brim! Good times.

Don't they make some glasses bigger to accommodate a head anyway?

Not that I'm aware of. Depends on the glass as some ales have the glasses sent from the brewery, but Spoons tend to use the straight ones if they've ran out.
Either way it's possible to have a head on a pint in all.
Especially if it's ale. Bollocks to lager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back