pints in pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
was in spoons yesterday, bloke standing a couple of feet away from me had a pint handed to him by the barman and he started kicking off about the size of the head on his pint. it was cringeworthy behaviour because the head was only about 1cm deep and the pint probably cost about 5p anyway. the barman then says its illegal to fill the glass right to the top and there has to be a head on it. who was in the right?

I've seen a bloke in Jamesons take his John Smith's back after drinking over three quarters it cos it was a crap pint. Demanded another one.

It's good to have head!

Head collapses quickly when the glass is dirty or greasy, if the beer isn't stored correctly or if the temperature is wrong. It means you have a decent pint if it's got a head on it. It also adds to the flavour as some of the compounds are in the head. There's a change in taste and mouth feel when you compare a pint with head to a flat pint.

Used to do head retention testing when I worked in the brewery lab :D

It's good to have head!

Head collapses quickly when the glass is dirty or greasy, if the beer isn't stored correctly or if the temperature is wrong. It means you have a decent pint if it's got a head on it. It also adds to the flavour as some of the compounds are in the head. There's a change in taste and mouth feel when you compare a pint with head to a flat pint.

Also, detergent does nowt for head retention. Glasses need to be rinsed thoroughly after washing.

Also, detergent does nowt for head retention. Glasses need to be rinsed thoroughly after washing.
Same as in the bath tub. Soap kills bubble bath suds!

I remember this from when I was a bairn and got a bottle of Matey for Christmas.

Yer Matey's a bottle a fun
You puts me in the bath
I'm loved by everyone
I'm always good for a laugh"

was in spoons yesterday, bloke standing a couple of feet away from me had a pint handed to him by the barman and he started kicking off about the size of the head on his pint. it was cringeworthy behaviour because the head was only about 1cm deep and the pint probably cost about 5p anyway. the barman then says its illegal to fill the glass right to the top and there has to be a head on it. who was in the right?
Unless things have changed, a pint has to be a pint.

Things to think of:
Different types of drink will have different amounts of head.
You can get exact size pint glasses/tankards and these should/ could be used where the head sits firm on top of the pint.
You can get oversized straight glasses, so room for head or lime, blackcurrant etc to be added.
Some pumps measure an exact half, some the bartender pours to a mark on the glass, in which case the head is in addition to the pint of liquid.

It's good to have head!

That must have been a fascinating job, not to mention quite pleasurable .

It's good to have head!

Naughty as fuck you like :lol:

Heineken glasses for example, have a line not far from the top with PINT TO LINE underneath. I've always pulled a pint to that line then push the lever forward and give it a head maybe 1-2cm deep. Caledonian Coast to Coast however don't have a line on the glass, but I use the same theory.

It's good to have head!

it sure is:lol:
erm are you sill merchandising;)

Heineken glasses for example, have a line not far from the top with PINT TO LINE underneath. I've always pulled a pint to that line then push the lever forward and give it a head maybe 1-2cm deep. Caledonian Coast to Coast however don't have a line on the glass, but I use the same theory.

was that in england?

If I've paid £4+ for a pint and either (a) the head is too large or (b) the head has withered in the time it takes to get my change then I will ask for a top up.

I forget where I was in town recently but they put a whopping head on my beer and then used a spatula "continental style" to trim it down. It's a trend I will monitor.

I much prefer a 24oz glass and a measured pint with a decent head but the places where you get that tend to be dumps.

Reactions: PTR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back