Piled a stone on

I don't know what went in it though. Same if I get something from the shop of the road that does "home cooked" lunches.

Its fine if its me, on my own, cooking stuff. But 5/7 evening meals, the missus cooks random stuff. And lunches, about half are from places I couldn't easily put into the app.

I think my problem is that if it doesn't work 100%, then I reject it out of hand...

the app isn’t magic mate :D

I don't know what went in it though. Same if I get something from the shop of the road that does "home cooked" lunches.

Its fine if its me, on my own, cooking stuff. But 5/7 evening meals, the missus cooks random stuff. And lunches, about half are from places I couldn't easily put into the app.

I think my problem is that if it doesn't work 100%, then I reject it out of hand...

I know what you mean like. I just search for things that are roughly comparable to what I’m eating and use those for totting up calories.

When I was losing weight I was doing the Fast800 so if some days it turned out to be 1000 calories and others were 600, I reckon overall it didn’t matter too much.

Not scientific I know but if you’re roughly heading in the right direction and seeing results then that’s the main thing.

My lass and I had our second kid in August and I've gained a stone in weight since then, the sleepless nights coupled with no time to get out running and then the limited time for decent meals has lead to me snacking loads at work and generally eating absolute shit. Are there any easy to follow diet plans out there which don't involve any kind of shake drinks? When I google it I just get plagued by adds for supplements etc

Forget "plans" or shite like that.

I have just started dieting and my tip is just to be more aware of the fat content of the food you buy and stick to the right things (don't think of it as buying stuff with more of the right things as buying stuff with less of the bad things), and less of it - keep the portion size small.

Also, just Google food stuffs that you have a leaning for but are know to be low in fat. I love grazing and snacking on sweet things. I Googled for healthy sweet treats and on one site it says a handful of jelly beans isn't bad which surprised me. I kid you not. Also, so are the biscuits that are the "thin" variety. I have a packed of Plain Chocolate digestive thins and Oreo thins.

I hate fad diets. They are dangerous. DON'T EVER go on a fad diet.

Last edited:

I have just started dieting and my tip is just to be more aware of the fat content of the food you buy and stick to the right things (don't think of it as buying stuff with more of the right things as buying stuff with less of the bad things), and less of it - keep the portion size small.

Also, just Google food stuffs that you have a leaning for but are know to be low in fat. I love grazing and snacking on sweet things. I Googled for healthy sweet treats and on one site it says a handful of jelly beans isn't bad which surprised me. I kid you not. Also, so are the biscuits that are the "thin" variety. I have a packed of Plain Chocolate digestive thins and Oreo thins.

They are not dangerous. Depends what you want out of it.

A little tip or you. Eating fat doesnt make you fat.

Depends on what kind of diet you want to go on.

I went on a low carb one at the back end of January and lost 25lb in a couple of months. No bread, pasta or potatoes.

My advice is have a look whats out there, and do what would suit you.

Where the fook do I say I eat fat?
Were you not aware of the words you were typing in the post I quoted?

I didn't explicitly say you 'eat fat'. 🤣

You were posting about the fat content of food. Fat is good for you. You need fat. If you want to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you consume. It's got fuck all to do with not eating fat.

Depends on what kind of diet you want to go on.

I went on a low carb one at the back end of January and lost 25lb in a couple of months. No bread, pasta or potatoes.

My advice is have a look whats out there, and do what would suit you.

I am pretty much trying anything and everything.
Were you not aware of the words you were typing in the post I quoted?

I didn't explicitly say you 'eat fat'. 🤣

You were posting about the fat content of food. Fat is good for you. You need fat. If you want to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you consume. It's got fuck all to do with not eating fat.

Isn't fat attributed to weight gain?

I could be wrong.

Well I can only tell you what worked for me. I think the big factor though, is exercise. It was bloody hard at first, getting nigh on 18st mobile again, but as the weight drops off, it does become easier. That, coupled with not drinking during the week and not eating shit (The joys of living in a hotel working away from home), the weight dropped off me.

Now I'm home though, the temptations are far greater cos my lass (no) likes a bottle of wine during the week, so its been a lot harder.

Well I can only tell you what worked for me. I think the big factor though, is exercise. It was bloody hard at first, getting nigh on 18st mobile again, but as the weight drops off, it does become easier. That, coupled with not drinking during the week and not eating shit (The joys of living in a hotel working away from home), the weight dropped off me.

Now I'm home though, the temptations are far greater cos my lass (no) likes a bottle of wine during the week, so its been a lot harder.

I am 15st and have been going on jog/walk sessions lasting about 22mins although yesterday's time was 22:53 iirc which was good.

My problem is breathing during the running sections. I don't know how I should be controlling my breathing. I read somewhere breathing controls blood flow which makes muscles more effective and efficient. I have very heavy breathing throughout.

I'm desperate to eat better and in a way that lowers my weight but I would never resort to eating shit.:D:D

Excess calories leads to weight gain. Doesn't matter if those calories come from protein, carbs or fat.

So does protein lead to weight gain?

Also what diet would you recommend?

Last edited:
Most of the diet plans/fads come down to the same thing they end up leading to calorie restriction which is how the weight comes off for most people. Keeping it off after is more the challange and why would say be loking at lifestyle changes that can keep up rather than quick fixes. Being aware of what you eat and calorie content (use myfitness pal or similar) the way to go to educate yourself on this along with having some food scales to weigh stuff so you can record properly as portion control the other big thing people bad at.

I am 15st and have been going on jog/walk sessions lasting about 22mins although yesterday's time was 22:53 iirc which was good.

My problem is breathing during the running sections. I don't know how I should be controlling my breathing. I read somewhere breathing controls blood flow which makes muscles more effective and efficient. I have very heavy breathing throughout.

I'm desperate to eat better and in a way that lowers my weight but I would never resort to eating shit.:D:D

So does protein lead to weight gain?

Also what diet would you recommend?
No. Unless you ate so much protein that you ended up in a caloric surplus. Then you would gain weight.

You don't need to go on a diet as such. You can eat what you like as long as you track the calories you are eating and make sure you eat less than you burn. Then you will lose weight.

Last edited:

Isn't fat attributed to weight gain?

I could be wrong.

Sorry if its been answered but fat isn't bad for you.

Protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram. Fat has 9. You can eat twice as much protein and carbohydrate than you can fat for the same net calorie total.

Fat in and of itself isn't bad for you. None of them are. As long as you burn more than you consume you will lose weight.

Back