Pickford critics

He reminds me of Grobbelaar and Barthez, an extrovert and big personality.
Can do the remarkable but also sometimes the crazy.
But regardless has utter self belief even if he did get dispossessed trying to dribble up the wing.

Plenty negatives I the past from Neville on Sky ,now Sutton jumping in slating him.Most players go through bad spells .Should leave the lad alone ( seems like a vendetta against him) .
Dunno about a vendetta but its the usual English thing-Build them up to a high level just so they can pick faults and knock them down!Too many considered top class..................................................till the next game/mistake.

Aaron Ramsdale should be England’s number 1 like. Much better then Pickford. Pickfords distribution is better that’s all. Too many mistake.

He’s been playing poorly and Henderson is playing better than him, that’s why he’s getting stick but in the main it has been correct. Joe Hart got battered to the point where it was abit silly so Pickford has some way to go yet.

Gary Neville just slaughters every keeper every time the ball goes in anarl, it’s not like he picks on Pickford.
He hasn't really done to much wrong for England

Agree but at same time I honestly thought him and John Stones let the winning goal go in way too easily in the WC semi final. Pickford was nowhere near it and Stones fucked it up defensively.

Last edited by a moderator:
England team should be picked on performances, Pickford is not even in the top 3 best keepers so far this season according to stats therefore he should be dropped for Pope, take it on the chin and work hard to regain his place.

If he wasn’t a canny player for us this wouldn’t even been a thread

All England internationals get criticism from sections of the media and they like to have a whipping boy to pile it on to.

In recent years it has been Sterling and was Rooney before him

and still let an absolute howler in against liverpool
Every keeper makes mistakes, still doesn't change that Henderson has been better this season.

If it was the opposite way round and the Sunderland lad was the one trying to get in the team after having the miles better season then no one would be making the "never let England down" comments.

Lingard had a decent world cup, doesn't mean I just ignore his dire club performances.

Last edited:
Every keeper makes mistakes, still doesn't change that Henderson has been better this season.

If it was the opposite way round and the Sunderland lad was the one trying to get in the team after having the miles better season then no one would be making the "never let England down" comments.

Lingard had a decent world cup, doesn't mean I just ignore his dire club performances.

pickford is vital to how England play out from the back. Henderson and especially pope fall short in that department

ings is having a better goal scoring season than Kane but no one in their right mind would want him starting ahead of Kane

pickford is vital to how England play out from the back. Henderson and especially pope fall short in that department

ings is having a better goal scoring season than Kane but no one in their right mind would want him starting ahead of Kane
Your first point especially I can appreciate.

I get your second but Kane is still having good season, 162 mins per goal. Whereas Pickford has been no where near the standard required.

I generally like listening to Gary Neville but as has been pointed out on here he has some pathological aversion to goalkeepers generally. He’s of the view that every time a goal goes in something has gone wrong and 9times out of 10 its the goalkeepers fault.

whereas De Gea is still “unquestionably the number one keeper in the world” who just happens to be going through a slight (18 month) dip in form.

Cant think of many keepers who haven't got a big error in them from time to time

Even the world's best do that's a fact
England team should be picked on performances, Pickford is not even in the top 3 best keepers so far this season according to stats therefore he should be dropped for Pope, take it on the chin and work hard to regain his place.
Haha Pope are people still banging on about that very average keeper

Last edited:
Hes a good keeper but not a great keeper. Keepers always get hammered though because their mistakes gemerally lead to goals and theres not hiding
Agree with this, and because he hasn’t made a clanger for England, that I can recall, they will stick with him and if he has another good tournament he’s the man again

Back