Pickford critics

Plenty negatives I the past from Neville on Sky ,now Sutton jumping in slating him.Most players go through bad spells .Should leave the lad alone ( seems like a vendetta against him) .
Outfield players get awway with clangers all of the time, goalies have nowhere to hide. Pickford is still the best goalie in the uk.

There was a text sent to 5 live last night about Pickford, saying how neutrals dislike him as he comes across as aggressive, angry, cocky, immature. And this leads to anything minor thing he does wrong to be picked up. I can kind of see the point.
I think pretty much every confident player who isn't falsely modest about their abilities rubs fans of other clubs - and pundits - up the wrong way. Jack Grealish of Villa is another one who, if ever he has a bad game, gets pelters other less talented but more "personable" players avoid.

it all depends on where the shots are from though and how easy the chances are. If a side is sat deep, teams end up shooting from further out giving the keeper a much easier chance of making a save. We did that and mannone was at the top for this stat and people thought he was better than de gea because of it

Well Everton have conceded 38 goals, and their expected goals against is 32. So if the goalie is only saving 62% of shots and you've let in 6 more goals that the xG would suggest then perhaps the focus is on the keeper a bit more.
Dubravka at Newcastle has the highest number of saves (102) and the second highest save percentage (73.9% - second only to Henderson). Newcastle have conceded 36, but their expected goals against is 45. So I'd say Newcastle are facing very high quality chances yet the keeper is playing unbelievably well.
Everton facing less high quality chances but have conceded more than xG and the keeper making less saves than he should be.

Not because he’s one of our own but I honestly think he’s an outstanding keeper, everything a modern keeper should be. A tremendous shot stopper, gets in great positions and always bawls at the shitty defence in front of him. He makes the odd mistake but of course it’s amplified by his being a keeper. I think working with Ancelotti will make him even better. Proud to have had him play for us, it’s been many years since we’ve produced two players like him and Henderson together.

Makes the odd mistake?

He makes loads.. that one against Liverpool was unforgivable..

somene said he hadn't made any for England

The quote you used was from Chops .. said '' he hasn't really done too much wrong for England'' . Not that he hand't made any mistakes at all. No England keeper has ever been mistake free . Seaman in particular had many moments. So far, Pickfords good England displays have far outweighed any of his disappointing moments.

It's clear you don't rate him, and he has gone down a bit my own estimation due to still showing signs of being erratic, but he tends to bounce back with a long run of good form that nobody highlights. We are a nation that looks to knock our own at football in particular, as soon as there is a window of opportunity.

Facts show he makes mistakes, but they also show he keeps many clean sheets and pulls off outstanding saves. His penalty saving record is hard to beat and his kicking is up there with the best. Was Sunderlnd player of the year when the team got relegated, unless it was just young player of the year. In his first season at Everton he was young player of the year and player of the year. His second season was tainted a little, but he the second half of that season he was very very good with many clean sheets. This season he's been on good form and currently looks a bit unstable. For me, thats a balanced unbiased opinion based on facts.

Cant think of many keepers who haven't got a big error in them from time to time

Even the world's best do that's a fact

Haha Pope are people still banging on about that very average keeper

Exactly mate. There isn’t a keeper who has never made a mistake in his career. Hugo Lloris made a mistake in the World Cup final. Alisson, De Gea, Oblak, Courtois etc have all fucked up.

Part and parcel of being a keeper getting crucified for any mistake, especially at the top level.

It's not a vendetta, he's not playing well. There's 24 hours of news to fill, thinks get talked about.
Ref's don't have vendetta's either.

Nevile is always over critical where Pickford is cornerned. If anyone does have an agenda, then I'd say he does appear to.
Well Everton have conceded 38 goals, and their expected goals against is 32. So if the goalie is only saving 62% of shots and you've let in 6 more goals that the xG would suggest then perhaps the focus is on the keeper a bit more.
Dubravka at Newcastle has the highest number of saves (102) and the second highest save percentage (73.9% - second only to Henderson). Newcastle have conceded 36, but their expected goals against is 45. So I'd say Newcastle are facing very high quality chances yet the keeper is playing unbelievably well.
Everton facing less high quality chances but have conceded more than xG and the keeper making less saves than he should be.

No it doesn't work like that though does it? It suggests the opposition could have been more prolific in front of goal than expected, not that the keeper was expected to prevent more goals.

Last edited:
Neville definitely has something against him. When he pulls off worldies (which happen quite common) he says they're routine. Pickford could save Neville's from a burning building and still not get any credit.

would agree with that, Neville has never been able to be very positive with Pickford, I would agree he does seem to have a mistake in him, but his overall game is decent.

Oddly enough up until very recently Neville has struggled to have praise for Henderson

perhaps Pickford and Henderson, amongst others dont play the media game very well.....

Back