Picard

I love Star Trek and Picard was ok but it didn’t really grab me. The story could really have been any sci fi series, it just seemed like they shoehorned it into the Star Trek universe.

This. It doesn't feel like Star Trek. Maybe my experience of what Star Trek should be is moulded too much by TNG and Voyager but Picard was just a generic sci-fi story. There wasn't anything actually Star Trek about it. Little of substance was actually dependent on it being in the Star Trek universe - other than name recognition and fan service. Some crazy writing too.
Riker gets command of the Zheng He? What he describes as Starfleet's most advanced ship? Why was the ship's regular captain not in charge, considering they were flying into battle with the f***ing Romulans?

Last edited:
Enjoyed it aye, had some cracking bits, a few dips. That they telegraphed the end is an understatement. But great fun, looking forward to season 2, and Raffi and Seven are nailed on to make the beast with two backs.

people are strange..I dont watch a program and count the number or colour of the actors, I watch to be entertained, I couldnt give a monkeys which characters are men or women, I dont even notice this sort of shit

do people really sit there and get angry about it??

Some people seem to.

This. It doesn't feel like Star Trek. Maybe my experience of what Star Trek should be is moulded too much by TNG and Voyager but Picard was just a generic sci-fi story. There wasn't anything actually Star Trek about it. Little of substance was actually dependent on it being in the Star Trek universe - other than name recognition and fan service. Some crazy writing too.
Riker gets command of the Zheng He? What he describes as Starfleet's most advanced ship? Why was the ship's regular captain not in charge, considering they were flying into battle with the f***ing Romulans?
well cos he is riker . therefore trusted. Picard follows the last generation closely , Im binge watching them season 2-3 is all about data. s4 e21 for star fleets darkness

I skipped a few and watched the last episode. It was utter shite just like the rest of the series. Good to see some old characters on the big screen but this shit needs to be cancelled as does Discovery.. The Orville and Avenue 5 are a lot better.

Just binged through it all yesterday and today. I really enjoyed it. Not sure what all the negativity is about tbh. The finale was a little predictable but that’s the only thing I could say bad about it really.

Just binged through it all yesterday and today. I really enjoyed it. Not sure what all the negativity is about tbh. The finale was a little predictable but that’s the only thing I could say bad about it really.
Glad you enjoyed it marra, a lot of people have moaned about it but don't let that spoil it for you.

Live long and prosper

🖖

I'm a big fan of the Borg and will gladly be assimilated. Bring it on.

Can I have a laser in my eye please..

It was a lovely, heartfelt story about a man who had one of his most loved friends taken away from him too soon. His final farewell with Data was just lovely.

Just a shame that the actual story arc about the androids and "The Destroyer" lacked any oomph or meaning or depth. It had lovely fan service moments, and the tine spent with Riker and Troi brought a smile to my face. But it just all felt like set up for where they want to go from here. Some characters show some potential, but others feel as three dimensional as the 2d creatures in that TNG episode.

Story wise, Discovery's first season was much better. In spite of all the things it lacked, the Lorca arc worked well for me. Klingon war arc was fine, but still felt like it had more than the Soji arc in Picard. If Picard had the "The Destroyer" story arc with a new lead character, backed up with some Seven of Nine and Hugh fan service, would it have been given time to find its feet with fans, or would it have received a Discovery-esque instant backlash?

It just might not be possible to create any more Star Trek that fans will really love. Doesn't really fit in with modern TV style and previous incarnations of Star Trek show that even a Star Trek that is like previous Star Treks isn't always going to win the fan base over. And a new direction for trek is a risk in trying to create a new fan base as it'd be like creating a totally new show but people will still place expectations on it due to the name.

Bottom line is for Picard is could someone fully enjoy that show if it was the first incarnation of Star Trek they watched? I'd say no. So it has to rely on the current fan base to go for it. And as ever, the fan base is split. Maybe not so much as it is with Discovery, but Picard has...well...Picard.

Back