Photos of old Sunderland

David M

Striker
Got a bare wall at home and thinking about putting up some canvas on frame prints (like a landscape scene over 2 or 3 separate photos). I was thinking of a shipyard scene or maybe a city centre scene before the nice buildings were knocked down.
Anyone any idea where I could find some that would work with such a set-up?

sunderland in pictures has some canny stuff

i love this photo. its in 1944, seen the barrage balloons as well. same view you get sitting by the cooper rose window.

Logon or register to see this image

Got a bare wall at home and thinking about putting up some canvas on frame prints (like a landscape scene over 2 or 3 separate photos). I was thinking of a shipyard scene or maybe a city centre scene before the nice buildings were knocked down.
Museum shop have some, Lowry stuff as well.

We bought a map of Sunderland from 1947 from here.

They have some photos as well.

Last edited:
Last edited:
In the distance on the left behind Mackie's Corner you can see the result of the 1899 fire. The wooden scaffolding supporting the affected buildings.

John Temple on the left? Think that was a clothes shop? A male boutique.

the building being supported by the scaffolding, would that have been where Chambers nightclub once stood ?

In the distance on the left behind Mackie's Corner you can see the result of the 1899 fire. The wooden scaffolding supporting the affected buildings.

John Temple on the left? Think that was a clothes shop? A male boutique.
A gentleman's outfitters. On the same lines as Greenwoods, Dunn & Co etc

the building being supported by the scaffolding, would that have been where Chambers nightclub once stood ?
Yes.

Yep. A lot of that area was decimated by the fire. From Fawcett Street to John Street. Think there was a large department store there at the time.

Seen loads of pictures of it, can't find any at the mo.
Yep. A lot of that area was decimated by the fire. From Fawcett Street to John Street. Think there was a large department store there at the time.

Seen loads of pictures of it, can't find any at the mo.
Evidently 18.07.1898.

Last edited:

I have an original of the Sandalwood being built. It’s a very atmospheric night shot.

You are more than welcome to take a copy.

Sorry I’ve never got the hang of posting photos but check out the Sunderland antiquarian society page on Facebook . Their current cover picture is wearmouth bridge on a snowy day with a tram going over , it’s a lovely photo

Google "Great Fire of Sunderland". Good wide angle picture of the devastation.

Don't know how to insert pictures on here.

Never knew about this.

Sorry I’ve never got the hang of posting photos but check out the Sunderland antiquarian society page on Facebook . Their current cover picture is wearmouth bridge on a snowy day with a tram going over , it’s a lovely photo

Last edited:

Back