Photos inspired by the Monthly Competition January - May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Re: Photos inspired by the Monthly Competition

Great, great shots Ghost, though I think you've picked wisely with your final entry.

This would have been the one, had the background not been a mess

This one almost made it too.

Arc of a Diver
Please may I ask how you did these pictures? (briefly):)

c&c welcome
Please can you tell me what you did to these photos other than take the picture ie you've done something to them but I don't know what? Is it that HD thing? After picture taking production? I'd be interested to hear/learn. :)

How brief would you like?

I'll pop some instructions on the main photo board in an hour or so.

Obviously there were a lot of duds but it was great fun shooting them.

How brief would you like?

I'll pop some instructions on the main photo board in an hour or so.

Obviously there were a lot of duds but it was great fun shooting them.
Thanks, I don't want you to waste too much of your time explaining to me as I don't have a digital slr and doubt I would be able to replicate, but a few brief sentences would be interesting as a general guide. Thanks!

Please can you tell me what you did to these photos other than take the picture ie you've done something to them but I don't know what? Is it that HD thing? After picture taking production? I'd be interested to hear/learn. :)

PB I just play around in photoshop, as EH7 has noticed I don't really know what I am doing :lol: sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

I have had no training in it and at first it is quite scary but trial and error is the way forward

PB I just play around in photoshop, as EH7 has noticed I don't really know what I am doing :lol: sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

I have had no training in it and at first it is quite scary but trial and error is the way forward

this is it straight out of the camera

Logon or register to see this image

pretty boring

Yes they do Peachbum, I was going to suggest he use an ND grad to do the stuff with the sky.
Yes, or possibly a coloured filter. What I don't understand is, film reacts to light, and filters alter the light (strength or angle etc) but I don't understand how this works digitally. This is a rhetorical question!

Yes they do Peachbum, I was going to suggest he use an ND grad to do the stuff with the sky.

I used an ND4 and a polarizer (£6 each on Ebay), don't know how to do the grad stuff in PP

Yes, or possibly a coloured filter. What I don't understand is, film reacts to light, and filters alter the light (strength or angle etc) but I don't understand how this works digitally. This is a rhetorical question!

The digital sensor also reacts to light - it essentially mimics film by interpreting light.

The digital sensor also reacts to light - it essentially mimics film by interpreting light.

It has the same limitations as film in that bright and dark areas together are difficult to record detail depending on the exposure which is why the sky still burns out at times.

messed about with the sky, looks a bit better now. Really need to get some proper training on PS

For me that's slightly distracting, cos the reflecting in the water isn't matched by the sky itself.

It's case of trial and error marra.

you need to use adobe lightroom, it has a grad tool that works great and would clean that sky up loads.

I used an ND4 and a polarizer (£6 each on Ebay), don't know how to do the grad stuff in PP

If you shoot in RAW then develop 4 or 5 of the same shot with intervals of -2 to +2 in terms of exposure. The try blending them in HDR and see what it looks like - you might get the detail in both the bright and dark areas.

you need to use adobe lightroom, it has a grad tool that works great and would clean that sky up loads.

Don't know anything about it, what can it do that PS cannot and why are there so many different Adobe products that look very similar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back