Photography theft

How would you go about combating this? I've been struggling with this for years. I'll post something on my Instagram and then see it popping up on a DJ's Instagram a day or so later with my logo cropped out and not even any credit left. I don't want to burn bridges with potential clients (I work a lot for festivals where these DJs play) but want my work to be recognised.

Today I've noted a DJ "Axwell" (and his team) has lifted my photo from my Instagram page and re-posted it at his own without any form credit or payment.

His post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BU37VQxDa-i/
My post: Alex 'Lonz' Lonsdale on Instagram: “Λ”

It's a tricky situation to play. Currently a group of friends will comment publicly to try and name and shame them into action, but this is normally well after the image is first posted and any potential publicity is lost. Any suggestions?
Are all of the pictures on your instagram page yours? If not, did you pay/give credit to the originals?

Also, that same image is all over the web. Are all these you?
Kinekt Debuts at Creamfields Steel Yard | TPi
ATM Artists (@atmartists) | Twitter
Kinekt Creamfields - ER Productions

They're all mine or licensed appropriately, yes.

Fortunately the issue with those photos got worked out amicably (ish) in the end.
I post hundreds of pictures from google on forums every week with no idea of where they're coming from. In this day and age I think it'll be a struggle for photographers to keep an eye on where their work is getting posted.

Good luck. Nice pics btw, and your lass is a massive wad. :cool:

How would you go about combating this? I've been struggling with this for years. I'll post something on my Instagram and then see it popping up on a DJ's Instagram a day or so later with my logo cropped out and not even any credit left. I don't want to burn bridges with potential clients (I work a lot for festivals where these DJs play) but want my work to be recognised.

Today I've noted a DJ "Axwell" (and his team) has lifted my photo from my Instagram page and re-posted it at his own without any form credit or payment.

His post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BU37VQxDa-i/
My post: Alex 'Lonz' Lonsdale on Instagram: “Λ”

It's a tricky situation to play. Currently a group of friends will comment publicly to try and name and shame them into action, but this is normally well after the image is first posted and any potential publicity is lost. Any suggestions?

Watermark them or make your insta account private

Shame when this happens. Without going in to details (since I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to) I know someone who had a photo they took of a politician become politically relevant a few decades later. It was ripped straight from their (private) website, all watermarks and digital watermarks stripped, and used by a major newspaper in a cover story without any credit. It went viral and was re-posted all over the internet and news (still without payment and credit). In the end they managed to chase it up and get payment from the newspaper, but basically a token fee.

Back