Photography course/advice for a beginner: help req'd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again!! The pain in the arse is back......

Sought some advice from tog's and Jessops and the lowdown is I was recommended the following:

Togs
Canon
30D
500D plus kit lens, longer lens 80 to 200mm

Or Nikon equivalent.

Jessops
Sony A290 + 18.55mm £310 - new
Sony A390 + 18.70mm £350 - new

Any thought/comments (especially those who have or have had these camera's) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

the sony a390 is a great camera for that price, think a few lads off here recently picked them up at around that price from jessops, cant really comment on the canon/nikon ones as never used them.

the sony a390 is a great camera for that price, think a few lads off here recently picked them up at around that price from jessops, cant really comment on the canon/nikon ones as never used them.

I got the a390 recently and cant recommend it enough, great price and with the old minolta,sigma, tamron af lenses I have picked up my kit is growing nicely for little extra money.

Sponge

Hello again!! The pain in the arse is back......

Sought some advice from tog's and Jessops and the lowdown is I was recommended the following:

Togs
Canon
30D
500D plus kit lens, longer lens 80 to 200mm

Chalk and cheese TBH.

The 500D, whilst a nice camera is tiny, which, for me, is no good. The 30D is much more chunky and suits me much better, but is has now been superceded by the 40D, 50D and 60D, so don't expect a camera full of bells and whistles, but DO expect a good workhorse that does most of the stuff you want.

I had a 400D then a 50D and loved them both. From a beginners perspective I'd have gone for the 400D - which is now the 500D. If, of course, you can afford a 5D MkII, then it's a no brainer.

My advice fwiw is to go straight down the DSLR route. While you can create great images with a point and shoot, if you've £350 to spend you can probably get a DSLR which will really show you if it's the hobby for you or not. And if not, you can sell it on without losing a great deal of money. Buying my first DSLR (a Nikon D40 off eBay) was the best purchase I ever made. Cost me several thousands since like, but that's another story!

On the cameras you mention, there's little difference between Canon and Nikon. I have Nikon and love it, others will say the same about Canon. I've used both, marginally prefer Nikon, but that's only cos it's what I'm used to.

Sony tend to be a smidge cheaper, and plenty on here 100% swear by them. There are fewer Sony lenses available than the other 2, but that's made up somewhat by the Minolta lenses that also fit Sony. Buying from any of those 3 brands would be a good move.

My advice would be to buy 2nd hand - that way you'd stand to lose next to nowt if you didn't get into it.

£350 would buy you a good used Nikon D80, plus the Nikon 18-55 and 55-200 lenses - maybe even a 50mm too. All superb equipment, and a cracking range for a variety of lifestyle shots.

Good luck.

Yippee!!! I have won £500 on me footy coupon to go towards a camera.

Lovely Jublee...... so in effect I am buying with free money.

PS - still not sure which one I'm going for, LOL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back