Photographing in 'raw'

Status
Not open for further replies.

seahamstar

Striker
Hi, I have a Nikon D3300 and am thinking of starting to use the 'raw' format as opposed to JPEG.
To have them printed by Photobox , they need to be converted to sRGB.
I know that I can do this in camera , but I don't know whether this would result in loosing the higher quality that 'raw' gives.

Apologies if i'm coming across as a bit thick - it's just that 'raw' is not something I've thought of trying , until now.

Unless I have an overriding reason to shoot jpeg (like action photography where the camera struggles to write larger RAW files to the memory card fast enough, or work for Google who insist on jpegs out of the camera) I would always shoot RAW.

RAW is saving everything the sensor has captured is lossless and gives you much more control to process things afterwards (even if its something simple like changing the white balance).

Not a Nikon user, but I am sure your camera will have come with software to use on a PC/MAC for editing the RAW files and rendering the result as a JPEG.

The downsides are if you want to share your images afterwards you will normally have to process them before doing this, so not so instant, and of course the image files are larger.

Unless I have an overriding reason to shoot jpeg (like action photography where the camera struggles to write larger RAW files to the memory card fast enough, or work for Google who insist on jpegs out of the camera) I would always shoot RAW.

RAW is saving everything the sensor has captured is lossless and gives you much more control to process things afterwards (even if its something simple like changing the white balance).

Not a Nikon user, but I am sure your camera will have come with software to use on a PC/MAC for editing the RAW files and rendering the result as a JPEG.

The downsides are if you want to share your images afterwards you will normally have to process them before doing this, so not so instant, and of course the image files are larger.
Add to this capture one pulls great colours from raw files

Can vary a lot depending on what raw converter you use. Canon tends to be too warm, Photoshop is awful

i shoot RAW and i use a Nikon. Capture One is very good. More chance to tweak and adjust your images if you shoot RAW.

or work for Google who insist on jpegs out of the camera)
What's all that about?

As for RAW - I never shoot without it. I got taught by someone that there wasn't much difference and was shooting JPEG for about a year or so. Switched to RAW and noticed I could do so much more in post in particular. It's a life saver. I shoot a long of action/fast moving festivals where you sometimes need to bringing things back as much as you possibly can to make an image usable. You can't do that anywhere near as much in JPEG.

If your card is big enough and PC powerful enough to cope with the processing then there's not much reason to not. Disk space is cheap as chips as well these days.

Last edited:
What's all that about?

As for RAW - I never shoot without it. I got taught by someone that there wasn't much difference and was shooting JPEG for about a year or so. Switched to RAW and noticed I could do so much more in post in particular. It's a life saver. I shoot a long of action/fast moving festivals where you sometimes need to bringing things back as much as you possibly can to make an image usable. You can't do that anywhere near as much in JPEG.

If your card is big enough and PC powerful enough to cope with the processing then there's not much reason to not. Disk space is cheap as chips as well these days.
He does big virtual reality spheres for Google iirc. They need them to have smaller file sizes so people can download them quickly I'd imagine

This, not working for Google to be precise, working for businesses who want to appear there - but big G use a lot of automated processing and only accept specific camera/lens combinations. They don't process RAW, and I suspect they don't want them converted from RAW to jpg by us as they are looking for consistency and also probably certain attributes in the file to tell them how to process it.

On the Nikon you can shoot in both RAW and JPEG (it saves both files) which I've been doing for a while. I'm only just getting round to editing images currently so am playing with the RAW files for that.

I'll have to check out Capture One.

On the Nikon you can shoot in both RAW and JPEG (it saves both files) which I've been doing for a while. I'm only just getting round to editing images currently so am playing with the RAW files for that.

I'll have to check out Capture One.
30 day free trial from their website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back