Philomena

Saw this at cinema when it first came out, not many films that made me angry while watching but this and Spotlight certainly got my blood boiling. Loved the bit where Steve Coogan basically said what we were all thinking.....

Logon or register to see this image

I loved the film but before condemning Catholics en masse, try doing some research on what was happening to unmarried pregnant women both by religious organisations and secular organisations at that time. It was society that was warped and twisted then, not just the Catholic Church. Don’t read this as a defence of the church, they should have had more compassion and understanding, but it was a time of virtual fire and brimstone for even minor offences let alone getting pregnant.

I loved the film but before condemning Catholics en masse, try doing some research on what was happening to unmarried pregnant women both by religious organisations and secular organisations at that time. It was society that was warped and twisted then, not just the Catholic Church. Don’t read this as a defence of the church, they should have had more compassion and understanding, but it was a time of virtual fire and brimstone for even minor offences let alone getting pregnant.
I don’t necessarily disagree but I’d argue that society was informed or driven by the church at the time so it stemmed from the church, rather than the other way around.

Back