Philliskirk

My dad played in the same team and was good mates with wilky and hutchy. He always said they were quality. He reckons that he was as well like so he could be talking garbage

Doubt there has been a schoolboy team as talented as Red house were .
From one team to get four professional footballers is incredible and there were at least a couple more who really should have been snapped up
Castle View, Micky Gray, Mendonca, Davy Rush,.... loads more who went there should have made it. It was, if ya face fits or if you knew the Sunderland Boys coaches...you were straight in. One of Sunderland's board members now brother was outstanding, Leeds snapped him up. Injury finished his career.

Remember watching Tony play for't Blades
I think the lad who played for Sheffield U has a brother called Barry. If so I played against him on numerous occasions back in the day at pub level. I usually came out on top winning our centre midfield battles, however on one occasion I ended up in goal and ended up having Barry score past me from the half way line straight after kick off.

I played against Barry in Saturday morning league. f***ing massive he was.
I also played against Barry in the Saturday morning league. Yes he was huge. Played centre midfield he did and I was always given the job of man marking him and nothing else whenever we played against his team. Big, very strong and loved a battle, but I remember him being a real good lad on the pitch who gave it, bút took it. Great times.

Castle View, Micky Gray, Mendonca, Davy Rush,.... loads more who went there should have made it. It was, if ya face fits or if you knew the Sunderland Boys coaches...you were straight in. One of Sunderland's board members now brother was outstanding, Leeds snapped him up. Injury finished his career.

5 years difference between them 3, certainly not same team like what he meant. I was in same team as rushy in juniors and comp.

As for MS, cracking player at local football level, but think he had reached his peak ie getting forms at leeds

I don’t know if anyone can remember Alan Hope. Around the early 80s he was a youth goalkeeper for Sunderland. He also represented England at schoolboy level. A shoulder put an end to what was probably going to be a good career. Ex pennywell school lad. Also from pennywell Anthony Smith who also had his sunderland career ruined with injury. Remember him.

I played for Hartlepool in the FA youth cup with one of his brothers . Maybe the same one

I don’t know if anyone can remember Alan Hope. Around the early 80s he was a youth goalkeeper for Sunderland. He also represented England at schoolboy level. A shoulder put an end to what was probably going to be a good career. Ex pennywell school lad. Also from pennywell Anthony Smith who also had his sunderland career ruined with injury. Remember him.
always wondered what happened to him

None of those mentioned were even in the same year at school , I’m talking about 4 lads from the same team . The even more impressive thing is 3 of them were in the same infant school team .

Back