Philliskirk

Micky Hazard went down to Spurs with a teaching mate of mine called Kevin Hilton. Spurs had a great scout at the time apparently and Hazard had never got a realistic offer from SAFC. Keith Burkenshaw described Hazard as having a 'gift from God' and was the most naturally talented footballer he had ever coached, bearing in mind Hoddle, Ardiles etc were at Spurs at the time.
Kevin is my uncle - from what I've been told, he could have made it too.

Aye Chan had a mare poor lad! I played with him for Wearmouth in the Hetton Youth League before Barnsley came in for him, he was excellent at our level, played against Tony Philliskirk on Cliffe Park at Seaburn, he was jogging past one Sunday morning during the summer and a few of the lads knew him from Red House and invited him for a kick around and he did! I used to work with Stevie Cook who was one of those lads in Robsons Choice, he went to Bede but was 3 or 4 years older than me.
That’s who I was on about. He was in my class - top drawer lad and so were his brothers. (Neebody called him ‘Stevie’!!)

Not impressed with Sunderland's scouting - I asked them if my son could have a training session with the youth team (U16's from memory) when they played in the AIFF a few years ago. He was with Dyce Boys Club and Keith FC's and the SYFA development squads and all I got was a generic knock back. He ended up playing against them in the tournament (could only manage a subs appearance because of an achilles injury) but still managed to nutmeg the current first team captain..........

Aye Chan had a mare poor lad! I played with him for Wearmouth in the Hetton Youth League before Barnsley came in for him, he was excellent at our level, played against Tony Philliskirk on Cliffe Park at Seaburn, he was jogging past one Sunday morning during the summer and a few of the lads knew him from Red House and invited him for a kick around and he did! I used to work with Stevie Cook who was one of those lads in Robsons Choice, he went to Bede but was 3 or 4 years older than me.
I went to Bede , same year as Cookie. We had a dreadful side, Cookie by some distance the best player we had in class of 81.

Does anybody know if Tony(Anth),Philliskirk ,Kevin Jopling ,Grant Brown and Gary Porter ever had trials for SAFC? Like these 4 loads of Sunderland born players have slipped through the the net over the years and went on to have decent careers. Admitadly some lower league stuff,but they still “lived the dream”. Dillon,Hazard,Harford,Smith and Mendonca to add a few more...

Terry fenwick from Seaham could be classed in same category

Hutchy was a really good left sided player. Work all day and really good attitude. Be in my pick everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Back