Phillips will know more..

I was against the idea purely because he's a legend here and I would hate to see the lad fail in his first managerial role but I'm warming to the idea. Why not? We missed out on one Sunderland scoring legend in Cloughy surely we shouldn't overlook another. The only Englishman to win the Premier League's Golden Boot and the European Golden Shoe. At 46 he's still fairly young and he's gained experience from working at Leicester, Derby and Stoke. Of the names mentioned, SKP is guaranteed to have the backing of the fans and bring a renewed sense of optimism back to the club. BHH

I was against the idea purely because he's a legend here and I would hate to see the lad fail in his first managerial role but I'm warming to the idea. Why not? We missed out on one Sunderland scoring legend in Cloughy surely we shouldn't overlook another. The only Englishman to win the Premier League's Golden Boot and the European Golden Shoe. At 46 he's still fairly young and he's gained experience from working at Leicester, Derby and Stoke. Of the names mentioned, SKP is guaranteed to have the backing of the fans and bring a renewed sense of optimism back to the club. BHH
One of the few things guaranteed about the fans is that a large section will moan if/when we don't have a 100% win record.

He’s had 3 coaching jobs
Fair do's but he hasn't set the world alight and doesn't seem to be wanted by other clubs as manager. If he had never played for us but scored equal amount of career goals we would be appalled that he was a possibility for the job. As I say it would be a purely sentimental choice. Where we are we need managers who have been through promotion and held their nerve - Ross lost his nerve badly when the pressure came on.

I recon if Philips doesn't get it I think Pearson might with skp as his number 2
That would make more sense. Pearson could handle the pressure and Phillips would bring the goodwill. I worry that Phillips as manager has disaster written all over it but as number 2 to Pearson it makes a bit more sense.

One of the few things guaranteed about the fans is that a large section will moan if/when we don't have a 100% win record.
I don't overly agree with this. The problem with Ross is that, although he didn't lose a lot, and of course we all know how many he drew, it was we didn't perform well for 80% of games. Single digits i can think of games where we definitely looked like a promotion chasing side, and that was at the start of his reign with Maja. Now i understand the whole "good teams can win playing poorly" - and i accept it, however it doesn't mean that you play badly EVERY game. When we came up against a team with a little bit about them we fell over. This season Pboro and Lincoln both looked miles ahead of us.

When the new manager comes in, if they have us playing well but not hitting 100%, they'll be fine with that.

It appears that a lot of our fans can’t see past the sentiment though unfortunately!
But where has experience got us recently?. And are Ainsworth and Parkinson better choices because of experience?
Experience in league 1 aye?
Proper uninspired choices just because they’ve done ok in jobs before, just like Grayson.
There’s no stand out candidates so why not take a punt? Worked for Derby

But where has experience got us recently?. And are Ainsworth and Parkinson better choices because of experience?
Experience in league 1 aye?
Proper uninspired choices just because they’ve done ok in jobs before, just like Grayson.
There’s no stand out candidates so why not take a punt? Worked for Derby

I’d say so aye. Derby weren’t in a position where they were wanting to be promoted as a minimum requirement either so that gave Lampard some breathing space.

I think the boo boys would get shut up pretty quickly when they're hurling abuse in the direction of a club legend and not just any old manager. I dare say a large portion of the usually silent majority would sharp pipe up in defence of Phillips.

I said it all last season, and the same applies this season. With the team of players we had/ have, John Cooke would not have managed us to a lower place than what Ross did. The team could have almost picked itself and got on with it and we wouldn’t have been worse off.

Similarly, despite SKP having no managerial experience, I would say that he would be more effective than Ross, plus having the advantage of being well respected in the English game, having played for some decent clubs above us currently, may actually result in us getting a player outside of NW England

Back