Phillips will know more..

He's coached for a few year, done his time. The next logical step is management. People say managers should cut their teeth in the lower leagues, that's where we are. He'd be eager, enthusiastic and he wants it and, as you say, he'd give the fans a lift.

Good post fella.
I must admit Immediately after Ross going I was against the idea of giving it to Phillips, however the dearth of decent alternative candidates other than maybe Stendel has given me cause to think again.
As you read rightly say he has done his time in coaching and seems to be highly thought of.
If he gets it it’s critical that he brings the right assistant in with him.
Not sure about Alex Rae who others have suggested, Pearson might be a better option.

Phillips or Stendel for me. You can usually tell a lot by other teams fans reaction and given how gutted Barnsley fans are, I think that says it all about Stendel. Think Phillips could do a decent job - momentum is key to this squad and think he’d bring that at least. And think he’d be great working with Grigg, who is capable of being a hell of a player at this level. We all seen what impact Phillips had on Vardy, if he has 10% of that on Grigg we get promoted hands down.

Keegan,keane,Gerrard, Lampard all had no managerial experience.
Personally I think Phillips would be the worst possible choice. He's had 2 coaching jobs and the teams he coached didn't seem to do well - certainly at Stoke. He would only be considered because he's scored lots of goals for us and is a hero. Keane was the biggest, strongest personality in the game as was Keegan and so you could hazard a guess they'd do OK. Take out the goals and the fact that he is a hero for us and tell me one reason why Phillips would make a good manager - I note no one else taking a chance on him. It would be a purely sentimental appointment and that is the last thing we need at this moment.

Personally I think Phillips would be the worst possible choice. He's had 2 coaching jobs and the teams he coached didn't seem to do well - certainly at Stoke. He would only be considered because he's scored lots of goals for us and is a hero. Keane was the biggest, strongest personality in the game as was Keegan and so you could hazard a guess they'd do OK. Take out the goals and the fact that he is a hero for us and tell me one reason why Phillips would make a good manager - I note no one else taking a chance on him. It would be a purely sentimental appointment and that is the last thing we need at this moment.
Derby and Leicester?

Was he coaching at a premier league winning team? Cant remember if he was there at the time?

I was against it for a time but the more I think about it that this is the time to get him. We are low enough down for him to start off and as I have said before if he goes to another club and had some success I think he would likely not come even if teams on an equal par are knocking. He prefers Midlands, Derbyshire type area to live I think.

Was he coaching at a premier league winning team? Cant remember if he was there at the time?

I was against it for a time but the more I think about it that this is the time to get him. We are low enough down for him to start off and as I have said before if he goes to another club and had some success I think he would likely not come even if teams on an equal par are knocking. He prefers Midlands, Derbyshire type area to live I think.

He was...He was their Forward/Striker coach

I was dead against this when first suggested but fuck it. My apathy for this season has already set in and this would alight it again.
You've got to start somewhere, why not here. I know there is a huge amount of pressure to get promoted, win and play attractive attacking football but fuck it. Phillip's thrived under pressure as a player, has coached in a premier league winning side so this is a logical step. Give it him and see how he does.
He'll also be given a lot more time to get things right. Get him in

He was...He was their Forward/Striker coach

I was dead against this when first suggested but fuck it. My apathy for this season has already set in and this would alight it again.
You've got to start somewhere, why not here. I know there is a huge amount of pressure to get promoted, win and play attractive attacking football but fuck it. Phillip's thrived under pressure as a player, has coached in a premier league winning side so this is a logical step. Give it him and see how he does.
He'll also be given a lot more time to get things right. Get him in
I'm the same the more I think about it especially with the names being mentioned. We tried success we tried others let's give him a go x

One of my lowest points as a Sunderland supporter was towards the end of Niall Quinn’s brief disastrous tenure as our manager. Standing in the bar after a defeat by Bury (RIP) and being utterly pissed off whilst my Bury supporting friend made courteous attempts not to make it worse, the tv announced that Kevin Phillips had declined the opportunity to return to the club, stating that he didn’t want to damage the reputation he had with supporters and that his family commitments were better served in the Midlands.

It seems strange and pathetic to be me now but at the time I was utterly gutted.

So now I don’t actually give a fuck. Loved him as a player but can’t see why a successful period scoring goals with us would make him a great choice as a future manager. If he comes it’ll because the current owners think he’d do a good job but I hope like hell its not because they think the supporters would be pleased.

This why I think he will get it. If the take over is off then SD knows he is on thin ice with a lot of the fans. SKP would get the majority of the fans onside in the short term

This why I think he will get it. If the take over is off then SD knows he is on thin ice with a lot of the fans. SKP would get the majority of the fans onside in the short term
I think the majority of fans would think Phillips would be a very poor choice but hope that they were wrong. I'd love to be wrong but it would appear to be a brainless, purely sentimental choice - just like when the Mags stupidly went for Shearer. I highly doubt we'll go for him.

He’s had 3 coaching jobs

I think the majority of fans would think Phillips would be a very poor choice but hope that they were wrong. I'd love to be wrong but it would appear to be a brainless, purely sentimental choice - just like when the Mags stupidly went for Shearer. I highly doubt we'll go for him.
Personally I d rather it wasn’t him. However out of the realistic names we are linked to. I rather we took a punt on him than the likes of Ainsworth, who I really don’t want. Stendel would be my 1st choice, promoted, plays decent attacking football. Barnsley fans seem gutted he’s gone.

I can understand fans wanting Stendel. What I can't get my head around is people wanting Ainsworth or Parkinson.
Aye same here. Beggars belief why they'd want an uninspiring, no ambition type like them over Phillips. Aye it's a risk, but fuck me let's have a little ambition rather than Ainsworth or Parkinson, just because they've managed in league 1 before.

Back