Phillips wants it....

Thinking of the pros & cons of giving Super Kev a crack at his dream job Donald has a massive decision to make! Dose he plum for a Ainsworth or Cook who have done well at this level.

The main argument I see against giving SKP a crack is it'll damage is reputation and our memories of him as a player, but at least he knows the club, those goals and records as a player will never be taken from the history books... surely at this level our players would respect what he's done in the game / at the club?

The other "con" I've seen is lack of management experience, how much experience did Bowyer or Barton have before taking a job at a league 1 club? Why couldn't SKP do as good a job knowing the demands of playing for Sunderland??

All in all, I'd like to see him given the chance, IF it worked it would really be magic!
No it won't.

Thinking of the pros & cons of giving Super Kev a crack at his dream job Donald has a massive decision to make! Dose he plum for a Ainsworth or Cook who have done well at this level.

The main argument I see against giving SKP a crack is it'll damage is reputation and our memories of him as a player, but at least he knows the club, those goals and records as a player will never be taken from the history books... surely at this level our players would respect what he's done in the game / at the club?

The other "con" I've seen is lack of management experience, how much experience did Bowyer or Barton have before taking a job at a league 1 club? Why couldn't SKP do as good a job knowing the demands of playing for Sunderland??

All in all, I'd like to see him given the chance, IF it worked it would really be magic!

The main argument against is that he has zero managerial experience - absolute madness to even interview him for the job.

Zero expectations of Bowyer. Charlton was in a financial crisis up for sale all sorts of issues. Fleetwood there was no pressure either. We are a different kettle of fish. Teams around us know we need promotion they smell blood

The main argument against is that he has zero managerial experience - absolute madness to even interview him for the job.

Why though? My point is how much did experience did the likes of Keane have?

How much experience does someone like Ainsworth or others in the frame have at managing a club this size?? Ross said he was taken a back with the actual size of the club when he got to understand it.

Again, Bowyer or a Barton how much "experience" did they have before their relative success down here??

The club and supporters need a lift which SKP would provide massively.

We got that when Keane came in and he had no managerial experience but gave the players and crowd self belief, confidence is massive in football.

The shortlist seems rather uninspiring and given that I don’t think the Dell boys are coming to play then we need someone to lift the club, SKP for me.

He hasn't got the right character unfortunately for him. Too nice of a lad. Not a thinker though, in my opinion. Posted on another thread about when I met him at a talk in. Not management material in my opinion. Hes just a lad

Moyes, Grayson and Coleman had loads of experience and were utter garbage. Lampard and Gerrard has zero experience and have done well.Give Super Kev a chance.

He hasn't got the right character unfortunately for him. Too nice of a lad. Not a thinker though, in my opinion. Posted on another thread about when I met him at a talk in. Not management material in my opinion. Hes just a lad

Fair play, though I'd imagine he'd have a different persona at a fan's talk-in as opposed to in the dressing room or on the training pitch?

Why though? My point is how much did experience did the likes of Keane have?

How much experience does someone like Ainsworth or others in the frame have at managing a club this size?? Ross said he was taken a back with the actual size of the club when he got to understand it.

Again, Bowyer or a Barton how much "experience" did they have before their relative success down here??

For me it's too big a gamble, even if he had managed a short period in a lower league to cut his teeth, learn from mistakes made etc.

He is a legend but I'm just not convinced he is managerial material. If he had some of this on his CV then great but he hasn't.

All opinions like but I would be very worried if he came in, yes the crowd would be buzzing but that would change if we don't win.

A club nearby appointed a legend with no managerial experience and it didn't end well.

Zero expectations of Bowyer. Charlton was in a financial crisis up for sale all sorts of issues. Fleetwood there was no pressure either. We are a different kettle of fish. Teams around us know we need promotion they smell blood

Absolutely! That's my concern with getting a manager from a Wycombe or even Wigan!! St Mirren to SAFC proved too much for Jack Ross
For me it's too big a gamble, even if he had managed a short period in a lower league to cut his teeth, learn from mistakes made etc.

He is a legend but I'm just not convinced he is managerial material. If he had some of this on his CV then great but he hasn't.

All opinions like but I would be very worried if he came in, yes the crowd would be buzzing but that would change if we don't win.

A club nearby appointed a legend with no managerial experience and it didn't end well.

Shearer's a wanker tho 😉 Even PDC done what that clown couldn't and he smashed the c**ts in their own back yard in the process!

For every Shearer, there is a Keane, Lampard of Gerrard. Point being we'll never know unless Phillips is given a chance somewhere.

Last edited:
Absolutely! That's my concern with getting a manager from a Wycombe or even Wigan!! St Mirren to SAFC proved too much for Jack Ross

Shearer's a wanker tho 😉 Even PDC done what that clown couldn't and he smashed the c**ts in their own back yard in the process!

For every Shearer, there is a Keane, Lampard of Gerrard. Point being we'll never know unless Phillips is given a chance somewhere.
Can’t believe all these anti Super Kev for manager posts. When SK signed as a player there weren’t great any expectations ,and he turned into SAFC legend.
Stop all the negative “ he’s got no experience “ crap and give the guy a chance. He’s a must for me.

Can’t believe all these anti Super Kev for manager posts. When SK signed as a player there weren’t great any expectations ,and he turned into SAFC legend.
Stop all the negative “ he’s got no experience “ crap and give the guy a chance. He’s a must for me.

Same folk will probably moan like fuck when we get a experienced league one manager in 🤔
Ainsworth incoming anyway by the looks of it!

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
Whilst I agree with not wanting skp (don't really know why though)....that club nearby also appointed another legend with no managerial experience in the 90s and that turned out pretty well for them :) :) . Every appointment is a gamble....after all those years at Everton who would have expected moyes to be so shit. I guess we were all hopimg for the takeover to be announced so that we could be looking at managers to move with us to (hopefully) at least the upper and of the championship. With the names being bandied around it appears we are again appointing on the cheap just to get us out the league. I expect to be totally underwhelmed but still think we needed a change and hope the next person surprises us all :) :) .

...according to Ian Murtagh.
Realistically SKP is the only man for the job. Don’t want to hear nonsense about him not having any experience. Lampard and Gerrard had no experience. He could make himself into an even bigger legend. These anti Phillips posts really annoy me . What have they got against the guy? Also I have £20 at 20/1 at SKP being next SAFC manager!!!

No thank you, last thing we need is a manager with no experience. Need someone who is tried and tested at getting out of this division.

ah,you mean a Grayson type of manager,tis a geet big no from me,lets try something different for a change,Moyes,Grayson,Coleman,then the jock,there's got to be a decent choice out there

Back