Philippe de Gaulle

Sad news has arrived of the passing of Philippe de Gaulle (son of Charles) at the age of 102. He joined the Free French Navy in 1940 and also served as an auxilliary fireman during the London Blitz. He served on a corvette during the Battle of the Atlantic and also on MTBs. He then went on to lead French marines during the Liberation of France and in the fighting in Alsace. Quite a war, and life, when all is said and done

Sad news has arrived of the passing of Philippe de Gaulle (son of Charles) at the age of 102. He joined the Free French Navy in 1940 and also served as an auxilliary fireman during the London Blitz. He served on a corvette during the Battle of the Atlantic and also on MTBs. He then went on to lead French marines during the Liberation of France and in the fighting in Alsace. Quite a war, and life, when all is said and done
You are right. Phillipe was a very brave lad who, bravely joined the FFN and later the French Marines. Eventually he became an Admiral. I think he was a senator too, but I am not sure.
Phillipe leaves/left four children and his two sisters preceded him . He was very well thought of in France. In particular in the military world. He took part in the liberation of Paris, the battle of the Atlantic abrn the Channel battle. I met him once at a reunion but I only managed about 10 minutes of conversation. His impressive character was obvious and he was likeable in that brief encounter.

Back