Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lexingtongue

Now, I'm not a fan of his writing at all, but there's no denying he was a man who had some fantastic ideas and his stuff generally translates well on to the screen. Saw an advert for this new TV series on Channel 4 and it looks intriguing. Has some solid acting talent involved, too. Could be interesting.

Read the plot synopsis of the other episodes and it sounds like they've picked the weakest to start. Hopefully it ends up being as good as Black Mirror.

Now, I'm not a fan of his writing at all, but there's no denying he was a man who had some fantastic ideas and his stuff generally translates well on to the screen. Saw an advert for this new TV series on Channel 4 and it looks intriguing. Has some solid acting talent involved, too. Could be interesting.
He was drugged out of his nut for almost his entire adult life. Nutty as a fruit cake.

have to say, it really wasn't done very well.... was ok, but could have been better..... will watch to see if it improves coz he was the man with all the "foresight" to propose all sorts of crazy situations....

He was drugged out of his nut for almost his entire adult life. Nutty as a fruit cake.
That's not true... although I will agree that later in life he was completely drug hazed.... but when he started he was fresh and just had lots of crazy ideas.... and his view of the future world just gets closer everyday.....

Last edited:
I thought it was canny. Not blown away by it but watchable. I think he was discussed on another thread and people who are into sci fi don't often like his adaptations but people like myself who usually don't enjoy sci fi, quite enjoy them.
I like sci-fi movies but I'm not that keen on sci-fi writing. There's very little of Dick's written work I like but the movie adaptations I find more enjoyable. Blade Runner, for example, I find far superior to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

I like sci-fi movies but I'm not that keen on sci-fi writing. There's very little of Dick's written work I like but the movie adaptations I find more enjoyable. Blade Runner, for example, I find far superior to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.
Completely the opposite I'm afraid... you just need some imagination when you read the book and it all comes alive... and Dick's vision of the future always was a wet grimy dirty place to be...... We were lucky when Blade Runner was made because the director really had the leeway to make it "true"... and in this case I think he did (and I'm not going into all the various cuts and stuff)... a lot of his since have been poor in film.... the "latest" Total Recall being a case in point...

Completely the opposite I'm afraid... you just need some imagination when you read the book and it all comes alive... and Dick's vision of the future always was a wet grimy dirty place to be...... We were lucky when Blade Runner was made because the director really had the leeway to make it "true"... and in this case I think he did (and I'm not going into all the various cuts and stuff)... a lot of his since have been poor in film.... the "latest" Total Recall being a case in point...
I've plenty of imagination, written my own books and everything. ;) He sets a good scene, admittedly, has some good idea, but is just a poor writer - from my point of view at least.

Well the short story wasn't great, yet the telly still managed to fall short! Well, 'short' is probably the wrong word as it took twice as long to watch the programme than read the story due to all the fluff they used to replace the original story with.

I've plenty of imagination, written my own books and everything. ;) He sets a good scene, admittedly, has some good idea, but is just a poor writer - from my point of view at least.
Hey Lex, yeah, have to agree, he's not an easy read by any means... and you just have to stick with it.... mind you, by comparison with the Illuminatus trilogy or some of Mervyn Peak's Gormenghast he's positively wonderful!
Then again..... Lord of the Rings wasn't exactly easy to read either.... but what you get out of persisting with it is so much more.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back