Philip K. D*ck's Electric Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lexingtongue

Now, I'm not a fan of his writing at all, but there's no denying he was a man who had some fantastic ideas and his stuff generally translates well on to the screen. Saw an advert for this new TV series on Channel 4 and it looks intriguing. Has some solid acting talent involved, too. Could be interesting.

Apologies for the title, apparently you can't start threads with that word in them. :lol:

Now, I'm not a fan of his writing at all, but there's no denying he was a man who had some fantastic ideas and his stuff generally translates well on to the screen. Saw an advert for this new TV series on Channel 4 and it looks intriguing. Has some solid acting talent involved, too. Could be interesting.

Apologies for the title, apparently you can't start threads with that word in them. :lol:
I'm a bit of a Dick head, but I'm not sure I agree with that. Films of his stuff usually turn out shite or nothing like the book whasoever. Total Recall and A Scanner Darkly are probably the best ones.

Minority Report is excellent IMO.
Despite loads of the tech in the film set further in the future being outdated already.

I'm a bit of a Dick head, but I'm not sure I agree with that. Films of his stuff usually turn out shite or nothing like the book whasoever. Total Recall and A Scanner Darkly are probably the best ones.
I think this is where the divide is. I couldn't read any of his books and I'm not a fan of sci fi in general but I've been surprised to find that I've enjoyed a number of films based on his ideas.
If you are a fan of his and sci fi I can see why you would be disappointed.

Possibly why I like them. I just think he had great ideas but struggled to develop them thus, when others take them in slightly different directions, they invariably improve. I know not everyone agrees, like. Anyway, the trailer has just been on again and it really does look like it might be decent, hopefully.

I've never actually read any of his stuff, but I like the adaptations. Man in the High Castle and Blade Runner are class. I should probably give them a go.

Possibly why I like them. I just think he had great ideas but struggled to develop them thus, when others take them in slightly different directions, they invariably improve.
See, I think he developed his ideas brilliantly. He wasn't a great writer though - his characters are often very one dimensional, but they were there to get his ideas across.

Anyway, the trailer has just been on again and it really does look like it might be decent, hopefully.
The cast list looks impressive like.

I've never actually read any of his stuff, but I like the adaptations. Man in the High Castle and Blade Runner are class. I should probably give them a go.
I watched the pilot of MitHC and wasn't too impressed, does it get any better?

Not a fan of Bladerunner.

I'm a fan of his, I've got quite a few first editions of his work including 'Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep?' on which Blade Runner is based. Looking forward to this, 10 stories based on his works, "Crazy Diamond" is based on his Sales Pitch story and will have the tin foil hat brigade on here wetting themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back