Phil Parkinson

I think they think highly of him because he handled the financial troubles with dignity. They seem to be pretty much in agreement that his style of football was awful. Apparently they had a poll similar to us and they all wanted him out. I think if you look at opinions on Stendel, Ainsworth and Cook the fans are very complimentary. While fans opinion are only one element and can be fickle Parkinson does seem to stand out in being someone who plays dull, defensive football and someone who likes his team to sit back and knock the ball long. Where we are now this seems a recipe for disaster and replacing Ross with someone who seems to have a very similar style seems pretty stupid. I'm not sure how you can advance an argument justifying the dismissal of Ross and replacing him with someone who has spent his time with his last club playing the same way. Can you think why we might be contemplating this?
I’ve had the conversation about whether they like him because of his dignity and it’s true they respect him for that but the view is that before the significant downturn he had them playing well enough. I know an academy coach there very well.
The motivation for getting him is my issue though. Like I say ... I get that we need to make ourselves financially sustainable but the cutting is short termist to me and is beyond common sense in football terms. 100k a week in wages out this summer (I know we’re probably still paying some this year) and we ended up with the fullbacks we got.

I think they think highly of him because he handled the financial troubles with dignity. They seem to be pretty much in agreement that his style of football was awful. Apparently they had a poll similar to us and they all wanted him out. I think if you look at opinions on Stendel, Ainsworth and Cook the fans are very complimentary. While fans opinion are only one element and can be fickle Parkinson does seem to stand out in being someone who plays dull, defensive football and someone who likes his team to sit back and knock the ball long. Where we are now this seems a recipe for disaster and replacing Ross with someone who seems to have a very similar style seems pretty stupid. I'm not sure how you can advance an argument justifying the dismissal of Ross and replacing him with someone who has spent his time with his last club playing the same way. Can you think why we might be contemplating this?
It’s baffling why he’s even being considered (unless we’ve got absolutely nowt to spend).

We have Bolton fans who say on Parkinson ‘he had dignity but his football was utter shit (sound similar?...)’ and Barnsley fans who say on Stendel ‘fantastic character and plays brilliant attacking football which is a joy to watch.’

It’s like someone putting a product on the market completely ignoring market research.

If Stendel is open to coming then we should be getting him in if the other options are Parkinson & Ainsworth. Absolutely no f***ing question about it.

Hope they have a cautionary glance through this thread before making any decision.

Most important thing at present is to keep the fans on side.
It’s not hard to gauge the current feeling amongst fans without reading this board or social media. I can’t imagine what the thinking has to be to conclude that either that doesn’t need addressing or that appointing Parkinson is the best way to address it. It’s wreckless at best in my opinion.
It’s baffling why he’s even being considered (unless we’ve got absolutely nowt to spend).

We have Bolton fans who say on Parkinson ‘he had dignity but his football was utter shit (sound similar?...)’ and Barnsley fans who say on Stendel ‘fantastic character and plays brilliant attacking football which is a joy to watch.’

It’s like someone putting a product on the market completely ignoring market research.

If Stendel is open to coming then we should be getting him in if the other options are Parkinson & Ainsworth. Absolutely no f***ing question about it.
Would Stendel be on much more salary wise than Parkinson anyway? Either way, I still think Parkinson would be the more expensive appointment due to the opposite effect each respective appointment would have on attendances and revenue.

Last edited:
Would be either utter madness or a total fuck you I’m in charge from Donald to appoint Parkinson. Our fan base is fragmented and at tipping point already this would only intensify the issue and turn the heat right up on Donald personally. We need an appointment to unite and give the fans hope and that certainly isn’t Parkinson!!

nope, his overall at each club, a mix of championship, leagues 1 & 2
Ok cheers. For fairness sake, as you mentioned Ross' win percentage then surely the important % for his Bolton record would be his record in his first season when he took them up rather than the overall record that includes two seasons of struggle in the championship. One of which where he kept them up when we went down. His win % would obviously have taken a kicking during that period especially as things turned way beyond shit off the pitch with their finances

I'm not advocating him by the way, far from it, just thought that would be a more fair comparison on the win percentages. His win % at other clubs would also understandably decrease after a promotion as it's very unusual for any club to go up and then keep winning at the same rate in a higher division.

I'd probably prefer Stendel for what it's worth.

Last edited:
What do you mean beginning of the end for donald?...he owns the club and can do what the fekk he likes !

Yhe only ambition they are looking at is to break even!the football is secondary to that im afraid!

He’s already said if the fans want them out he will go. I’m
Not at that stage, I think he has done a lot of good but something isn’t sitting right with me.

I can understand why they may go for Aisnworth - he's got Wycombe over performing and plays and attacking, high press style of football. He may not be first choice but I can see an argument why we may go for him. Parkinson would be both baffling and demoralising. Obviously we would support him and want him to prove us wrong but it would seem to be wasting an opportunity and not addressing the reasons why Ross had to go. We are not stupid, we have seen many managers come and go. And we are not acting like spoilt brats as some would have it. We are just trying and failing to see the logic of appointing someone as uninspiring as Parkinson.

I can understand why they may go for Aisnworth - he's got Wycombe over performing and plays and attacking, high press style of football. He may not be first choice but I can see an argument why we may go for him. Parkinson would be both baffling and demoralising. Obviously we would support him and want him to prove us wrong but it would seem to be wasting an opportunity and not addressing the reasons why Ross had to go. We are not stupid, we have seen many managers come and go. And we are not acting like spoilt brats as some would have it. We are just trying and failing to see the logic of appointing someone as uninspiring as Parkinson.
Fair point re Ainsworth.

He’s already said if the fans want them out he will go. I’m
Not at that stage, I think he has done a lot of good but something isn’t sitting right with me.
I like SD but he has claimed that he is is the custodian of the club. Surely he can see that Parky would just be a short term appointment that would give us more draws and piss the fans off. He'd also be pissing his potential profits up the wall.

Really? I thought it was a crap game cancelled out by the awful conditions. Barnsley played some good football last season, including at our place, but we should have put five past them in the first half alone.

Yes , I thought they looked like scoring every time they came forward.
Mind we did have the better chances and should’ve won the game in fairness , but I was still impressed with them going forward

Ok cheers. For fairness sake, as you mentioned Ross' win percentage then surely the important % for his Bolton record would be his record in his first season when he took them up rather than the overall record that includes two seasons of struggle in the championship. One of which where he kept them up when we went down. His win % would obviously have taken a kicking during that period especially as things turned way beyond shit off the pitch with their finances

I'm not advocating him by the way, far from it, just thought that would be a more fair comparison on the win percentages. His win % at other clubs would also understandably decrease after a promotion as it's very unusual for any club to go up and then keep winning at the same rate in a higher division.

I'd probably prefer Stendel for what it's worth.

he was in charge of Charlton when they were relegated from the Championship too, which hasn't done his stats any good...

Following Pardew's departure in November 2008, he was appointed caretaker manager and given the job permanently on New Year's Eve 2008, despite failing to win any of his eight matches in caretaker charge. Under his management, Charlton were relegated to the third tier of English football for the first time in nearly 30 years.

Allowed to sign one player in three years, got Bolton up despite a transfer embargo, has the best cv by light years, behaved honorably in impossible circumstaces and he is probably well aware of the fact that this idea of expansive football when most of your players are crap is a recipe for league two. But hey yes, why not listen to a few old moaning codgers at Bolton?

Back