Phil Parkinson - Is he really that bad?

Good none desperate managers generally seek assurances as to how they will be backed if they take the job, it's why McInnes told us to do one before these lot took over.
Finances go beyond a manager bringing his own coach in.
Apologies mate, I genuinely do not understand this part and therefore the rest of your post.

What happened after that?

The man has never built anything in his career, we are in this mess through short term thinking and nothing has changed.

SD doesnt have the clubs interests at heart at all, this appointment proves it. He wants promotion then sell to the highest bidder.
Last time I checked, getting promoted was in the club's best interests. Similarly most seem desperate to sell the club to Americans.

I'm glad you know better. Perhaps the national League is in our best interests?

Donald may have got Ross completely wrong, even though he started well enough, but while at Oxford he appointed Chris Wilder and he isn't doing a bad job at all now.

Give the bloke a chance and the chairman some slack, this could be one of the most pragmatic things he has done while at the club.

Donald may have got Ross completely wrong, even though he started well enough, but while at Oxford he appointed Chris Wilder and he isn't doing a bad job at all now.

Give the bloke a chance and the chairman some slack, this could be one of the most pragmatic things he has done while at the club.

I thought he owned and ran Eastleigh and had a 10% stake in Oxford although he did attempt to buy them. Don’t think he ever had any control of Oxford.

Last time I checked, getting promoted was in the club's best interests. Similarly most seem desperate to sell the club to Americans.

I'm glad you know better. Perhaps the national League is in our best interests?

I do know better .

I know appointing a manager who has never built something isn't what we need.

He's never done it at championship level. So if we get promoted we either sack him or he resigns which is more disruption. More players more turnover more instability.

Short term success will get us in a big mess. We don't have money to buy a new 11 if we go up. So Parkinson guarantees us as a lower half championship side if we go up because he's never passed that point in his career

Too many fans aren't looking at the bigger picture. Say he wins us the league this year then what?

He isn't a good enough manager and we don't have the funds to push on. SD knows this as is hoping he sells up by then but what if he doesn't or he gets greedy again?

I do know better .

I know appointing a manager who has never built something isn't what we need.

He's never done it at championship level. So if we get promoted we either sack him or he resigns which is more disruption. More players more turnover more instability.

Short term success will get us in a big mess. We don't have money to buy a new 11 if we go up. So Parkinson guarantees us as a lower half championship side if we go up because he's never passed that point in his career

Too many fans aren't looking at the bigger picture. Say he wins us the league this year then what?

He isn't a good enough manager and we don't have the funds to push on. SD knows this as is hoping he sells up by then but what if he doesn't or he gets greedy again?
You make some possibly valid points. However, which manager could we realistically attract who would meet what appers to be your requirments:

1) Build long term whilst also getting promoted this season (which is surely essential)
2) Has been successful in the championship

Quite frankly I find it bizarre that you can say that Parkinson will get us to be at least a championship side and that is not good enough (at the moment).

After seeing all the negative comments about his appointment i am wondering is he really that bad as i haven't heard of him if im honest. I know we are league 1 now and maybe expect too much but is it a backwards step or do you really think he can get us promoted. I see his teams don't seem to concede many goals but i guess that he must put 11 men behind the ball which would not be good to watch. Anyways just looking for some honest craic about him

If he starts winning games everyone will stop moaning.
You are not the best fans in the Country. Great numbers without doubt but no different from the rest of us who Support our mutual clubs.
Those that keep going no matter what are simply incredible.

I don't know why people are slating the appointment, probably because it's not a well known name

Some people would rather have Phillips because he was a good player and that's the only reasoning behind it

Totally disagree with this. For me, if you're going to appoint a manager who has scraped around the lower leagues for years, with very limited success, then I'd rather appoint someone new, with no history but a passion for the club, the area and just give the bloke a chance. If it failed, it failed but none of us can then say "I told you so" - like I expect with this appointment, eventually.

You make some possibly valid points. However, which manager could we realistically attract who would meet what appers to be your requirments:

1) Build long term whilst also getting promoted this season (which is surely essential)
2) Has been successful in the championship

Quite frankly I find it bizarre that you can say that Parkinson will get us to be at least a championship side and that is not good enough (at the moment).

Ainsworth or Phillips would have been better bets.

They may not guarantee promotion but they are unknowns who Could develop into top managers. Bowyer was an unknown now Charlton are reaping the rewards.

Everyone's assuming Parkinson will get us promoted. I don't think he will

Ainsworth or Phillips would have been better bets.

They may not guarantee promotion but they are unknowns who Could develop into top managers. Bowyer was an unknown now Charlton are reaping the rewards.

Everyone's assuming Parkinson will get us promoted. I don't think he will
Look, Parkinson would not have been my first choice, but you have said that you wanted someone who would allow us to be established or get promoted from the championship, yet then advocate Phillips (never managed anyone ever) or Ainsworth (who has an even worse record than Parkinson but does appear to be good at building for long term).

Literally every single manager we could possibly have appointed could theoretically be criticised in one way or another, and by default then Donald could have been critised for appointing him or her.

This is life in the third tier : all the players and managers available to us are limited ability and inconsistent. If they weren't they'd have better offers than League 1. We have to hope Parkinson performs better than most League 1 managers and that our squad really is considerably stronger than all the other squads. If those things are true then over the course of 33 games we should end up close to the top because the rest of the league are shite.

Look, Parkinson would not have been my first choice, but you have said that you wanted someone who would allow us to be established or get promoted from the championship, yet then advocate Phillips (never managed anyone ever) or Ainsworth (who has an even worse record than Parkinson but does appear to be good at building for long term).

Literally every single manager we could possibly have appointed could theoretically be criticised in one way or another, and by default then Donald could have been critised for appointing him or her.

I never said that at all. I said I'd rather we gambled than go for one of the merry-go-round

People are assuming we'll now go up he's only managed 2 league 1 promotions In nearly 30 years of management.

Parkinson is an unambitious and limited appointment.

As Ive earlier said Bowyer had no experience and did brilliant. We've basically appointed a manager who will be useless once promoted if promoted

I never said that at all. I said I'd rather we gambled than go for one of the merry-go-round

People are assuming we'll now go up he's only managed 2 league 1 promotions In nearly 30 years of management.

Parkinson is an unambitious and limited appointment.

As Ive earlier said Bowyer had no experience and did brilliant. We've basically appointed a manager who will be useless once promoted if promoted

:lol: it's 16 with less than that when he hasn't been in a job. He's also been outside league one for about half of that. He's had about 7 full seasons in this league, 3 of which was with Bradford who he'd gotten out of league 2 and established in the top half.
His record in this league is pretty good and you won't find many better than him we could get in to the club.
I don't like the idea he defends his way to wins but his record is actually very good, 2 promotions and about 2 or 3 playoff finishes in 7 years

Last edited:
:lol: it's 16 with less than that when he hasn't been in a job. He's also been outside league one for about half of that. He's had about 7 full seasons in this league, 3 of which was with Bradford who he'd gotten out of league 2 and established in the top half.
His record in this league is pretty good and you won't find many better than him we could get in to the club.
I don't like the idea he defends his way to wins but his record is actually very good, 2 promotions and about 2 or 3 playoff finishes.

Bradford are a big club. Fact he didn't get them up isn't a plus point

All you've done is prove that he's got poor pedigree.

Back