Phil Parkinson - Is he really that bad?

After seeing all the negative comments about his appointment i am wondering is he really that bad as i haven't heard of him if im honest. I know we are league 1 now and maybe expect too much but is it a backwards step or do you really think he can get us promoted. I see his teams don't seem to concede many goals but i guess that he must put 11 men behind the ball which would not be good to watch. Anyways just looking for some honest craic about him

He's not a bad appointment at all, it's just that there's a load of clueless young know nowts on here who would struggle to fill the back of a postage stamp with what they know about footy.
3 promotions with Colchester, Bradford and Bolton.
Boltons survival 2 seasons ago was nothing short of miraculous and spoke volumes of the team spirit and togetherness he engendered. It has to be said he had no chance last season as the situation deteriorated rapidly.

He had a big fat fail at Hull - no argument there, whilst he didn't pull up any trees at Charlton, but he will be a hit here and at the very least deserves a fair crack before the moaning non attending minnies get stuck in.
Welcome to Safc PP, and the very best of luck.

Who on earth were we expecting to get. We are a third division club and need a manager to match our status who is proven at this level. Parkinson seems a decent enough appointment. Best of luck to the guy

So if he gets us promoted we sack him as we’ll then be a championship club and will need a manager to match our status?

I said this elsewhere. Pathetic how fans still see us as the big Premiership club who ought to be getting big names. Not in our position we aren't. We must get the best yes but in our world. League 1. And we have. For the job of getting out of this league few are better and proven.

My only worry is whether he can replicate Bolton and Colchester with us.

I attended a supporters evening tonight and our guest was Johnny Jackson , who is now Lee Bowyers assistant at Charlton. I asked him about Phil Parkinson getting the Sunderland job and his thoughts. He said he was a great guy and JJ was Parkies first ever signing as a manager when he left Spurs and joined Colchester and then signed for him again at Charlton. He said he was a good man manager and real gent and he had great respect for him. He said he was delighted for Parkie that he'd been given the opportunity to manage a big club. Let's hope he manages to turn things around

While the appointment was a financial and not a football based decision.
There's no reason why he can't make the play offs as a minimum, he is a better manager than Ross.
I keep hearing that it was a financial, not footballing reason that he was hired as he was a "cheap option".

The earlier comments is that SAFC would be able to keep all the backroom staff. Well that hasn't exactly happened has it? Parkin has come along as well as McCann so there must have been a little bit of money available.

I keep hearing that it was a financial, not footballing reason that he was hired as he was a "cheap option".

The earlier comments is that SAFC would be able to keep all the backroom staff. Well that hasn't exactly happened has it? Parkin has come along as well as McCann so there must have been a little bit of money available.

Good none desperate managers generally seek assurances as to how they will be backed if they take the job, it's why McInnes told us to do one before these lot took over.
Finances go beyond a manager bringing his own coach in.

Great record for a lower league manager in 16 years

oh well better track record than Ross, things are getting better
But the whole place would have had a massive lift for at least a couple of months .
Tuesday would of been bouncing now looking at the feeling of everyone it's going to be like a morgue and just waiting for mistakes to happen to start circling on ppl .
Donald could of played this smart or dumb . Hes played the latter so the pressures on massively now from the start
Fans like you really need to take responsibility for your own feelings.

Last edited:

Back