Phil Neville - Steve Bruce is a top manager

Bruce did a decent job here and was in hindsight probably sacked prematurely.

I was probably firmly in the ‘sack Bruce’ camp at the time but if you try and look back dispassionately at some of our managerial sackings I’d say an argument could be made that several were in hindsight done prematurely and that the club probably wouldn’t be in the state we’re in now had we persevered with some of them.

Bruce, Poyet, Grayson for starters.

I don’t think Bruce’s Sunderland would have been relegated the season he was sacked. Poyet, even if we’d gone down would have been a decent prospect to bring us back and Grayson likewise on reflection could he have done any worse than Coleman and even if we’d gone down I’d say he’d probably have got last season’s squad promoted

And none of them ever served up football as bad as we’ve seen in the last few weeks.
Good post mate but I can't agree on Grayson.

He didnt cut the purse strings at all then mate. We signed johnson and fletcher after that for big money. You clearly have this inexplicable belief that he is a good manager despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Pelligrini has won cups in England on top of the premier league. Hodgson has taken inter and fulham to europa league finals, managed england, Switzerland, Liverpool and udinese among numerous others across the world. If you are willing to disregard all of these facts and cling to the belief that Bruce is somehow superior, despite his biggest achievement being finishing 10th, then i dont see much else i can say to change your mind. I will leave you with these two thoughts.

Firstly, dyche best finish was 7th, howes was 9th. Both superior to your mate.

Secondly, when man utd decided to appoint and old boy, why did they go for a relative rookie in solksjaer rather than go and get brucey with all of his PL experience?
They are 10th now. Not bad for a shit manager.

Yeah its a perfectly valid way to judge a manager based on on temporary position in any given season, rather than over his career as a whole.
Managers are now judged on how good they are over a couple of month not years.if they are struggling in that time they are in trouble

And he’s right. He is.
With hindsight our problems ran a lot deeper (short) but we would have been much better off sticking with Bruce. Even if we had gone down.

bruce is one of those managers who does well for a relative short period of time and then seems to run short of ideas and his teams fall away

he was unlucky with a couple of transfers, bent being one which probably had nothing to do with him but there was a lot of stories going around which was probably fake news.

I don't think Short was much of an issue back then, as he had SNQ as a linkpin. something obviously happened as SNQ left the club despite allegedly being offered a good role but that was downgraded.

IMO the problems started with the irish lawyer and her crazy way of thinking what was right and wrong

He is a decent manager imo.

Too many biased people on here to admit it tho

He put together, then dismantled the second best team we’ve had while at the sol. Always liked him while he was here but we showed him a lot of patience during that god awful run under him and he should’ve been moved on a lot sooner than he was.
He seemed incapable of motivating certain players and his scattergun transfer business did us no favours.
Since he left he’s talked absolute bollocks about us though, aye he took some abuse in the Wigan game but the geordie Shite was pure nonsense. Plus the season he brags about where we finished tenth was a failure really, but what can ya do...
Actually defended bruce at the time. Was partly shorts mess and our scouting... he did not have shorts backing

Riveros, da Silva, angeleri, killgallon, benjani... pushing Henderson out the door to fund larsson, Gardner, Vaughan, wickham, ji. Not giving bent the contract he deserved and then signing gyan on a higher wage. Hindsight but it’s annoying

Last edited:
He put together, then dismantled the second best team we’ve had while at the sol. Always liked him while he was here but we showed him a lot of patience during that god awful run under him and he should’ve been moved on a lot sooner than he was.
He seemed incapable of motivating certain players and his scattergun transfer business did us no favours.
Since he left he’s talked absolute bollocks about us though, aye he took some abuse in the Wigan game but the geordie Shite was pure nonsense. Plus the season he brags about where we finished tenth was a failure really, but what can ya do...

Riveros, da Silva, angeleri, killgallon, benjani... pushing Henderson out the door to fund larsson, Gardner, Vaughan, wickham, ji. Not giving bent the contract he deserved and then signing gyan on a higher wage. Hindsight but it’s annoying

Making stuff up as you go along... that is annoying. He had to pay for earlier mistakes and Shorts wanting money back... Henderson and Bent wanted to leave not much to do he did get good money.

Making stuff up as you go along... that is annoying. He had to pay for earlier mistakes and Shorts wanting money back... Henderson and Bent wanted to leave not much to do he did get good money.

Bob Murray confirms it on the rr podcast, sure Quinny has anarl, I’ve made nowt up :lol:
Short backed him, god knows how many players we signed while he was here. Doubt he was far behind Keane.
Still, apart from the 5-1 got good memories of his time here. That Liverpool game...

Back