Petrol lawn mower

Honda engines are better than Mountfield.

Reccomdations for a cheapish petrol mower. Not arsed about rollers and bits, just a reliable thing to run over the meadow out back.

Not arsed about self propelled. Fatha had a Mountfield and they seemed alright.

It’s June. Your garden must be three feet high by now.

Check gumtree as lawnmowers tend to be half that of new price and will generally be in good nick.

I've had a Honda Izy self proplled mower for years. I use it for three medium size lawns plus part of a village green and it's been spot on.

Anything over a small lawn then I'd definitely recommend self-propelled. Much easier to use and you'll do a neater job.

Not used their mowers but Mountfield also have a good reputation as well. I have a range of their cordless garden tools and they are pretty decent.

Used bargains can be had. Good used stuff on Gumtree gets snapped up very quickly but ebay can be a canny source.

Pay attention to the cutting width. If it’s a big open lawn then a wider cut will do it in fewer passes and use less petrol. If you’ve got lots of tricky flower beds to negotiate go for a smaller cut model.

A mulching plug option can be handy on bigger areas as well or you’d be constantly emptying the grass box then looking to dispose of the cuttings.

I think Aldi use these with their brand on it. Gardenline or whatever they call it. Supposed to be good value.

Last edited:
I’ve always fancied a ride on, but I’d want to be dressed like Hugh Hefner to use one.
Ultimate big bairns toy. Cutting the grass would be a pleasure rather than a chore. We’ve got a hand push mower now for the front, saves dragging the electric one from the garage and avoiding electrocuting yourself.

Ultimate big bairns toy. Cutting the grass would be a pleasure rather than a chore. We’ve got a hand push mower now for the front, saves dragging the electric one from the garage and avoiding electrocuting yourself.
My colleague removed his toe with one cutting his grass pissed.

Back