Petrol in a Diesel

In the scheme of things, not a bad price no matter how annoying. Glad the car's not fucked.
I very nearly did it once but luckily only put a pound in. Apart from the shame when going to pay, there was no harm done.
After driving petrol cars for 25 years, this was my first diesel and I was paranoid so bought some attachment that apparently prevents you fitting a petrol nozzle in but it just became irritating so I removed it. It's sat in the house somewhere if you want to give it to your lass for Xmas.:lol:
I once bought her a jump starter for Christmas as she was constantly leaving the lights on and getting a flat battery. So aye I'll have that!

I did this about 5 years ago in what was comfortably the worst few hours of my life. Knocked off from work and put petrol in the diesel. Waited a hour for the bloke to arrive and charge me £235 quid.

Went home to a speeding find which was dead on 28 days after the incident, which I assumed I'd gotten away with

I then dropped my phone down the toilet, which did make something of a recovery over the next few days but initially looked done for

It was the night we were meant to play man city and it got called off due to the rain. It was a lonely sad evening
I'd had a crap day today to that point too to be honest. Started with running late this morning and daughter #1 gets out of bed with wurzel gummidge hair I had to sort out before dropping her off.

They sell it for a discounted amount of around 43p a litre apparently.
According to the AA they dispose of it and that is included in the price. I doubt it like. They would be reusing.

Last edited:

Accidentally put premium diesel in mine today, instead of normal diesel. 143p a litre ffs. Got to be the biggest con going this. This is worse than what happened to the op’s wife imo.

It happened to me last year - pathetic really - I was towed to a garage but they couldn’t sort it until the next day which was a bit of a problem as the car was in Dumfries and I was staying in Peebles - I had to pull in a few favours and the whole escapade cost me about £300 in total - a very painful lesson learned

I wonder what these lads do with the fuel they remove from stricken vehicles? They can't put it down drains, they can't resell it as it's contaminated, unless they sell it to users of all-fuel vehicles but there can't be many of them around.

Maybe it gets stockpiled then returned to the refinery?
Can be separated and reused in basic oil and petrol engine such as generators same a vegetable oil

in the interests of balance I'll point out that my helpful husband filled my diesel car with petrol last year (his defence was that he was used to filling his bike with petrol.... yeah...cos a 2005 Skoda Fabia looks exactly like a bloody motorbike.... twat)

I made him pay the garage to get the tank drained €120

Accidentally put premium diesel in mine today, instead of normal diesel. 143p a litre ffs. Got to be the biggest con going this. This is worse than what happened to the op’s wife imo.
My car won’t run on standard petrol, it misfires. I put super unleaded in and it runs like a dream. 10p a litre isn’t going to kill anybody.

Back