Petrol/Diesel Prices

Their diesel is shite. Not sure what their petrol is like
I was once told by a very reliable and honest mechanic never to use supermarket fuel under any circumstances. In his words it's "shite". The bloke has been a godsend when it comes to looking after my vehicles and those of others I know so I'm happy to take him at his word.

I have a diesel and always avoid supermarket fuels. Apparently the fuel comes from the same tanks but it's all about the additives that they don't add that the 'big name' fuel palces do. But don't quote me on that!!

Cheapest I've had in last couple weeks was 116.7 for diesel from.Asda Chelmsford..

I was doing £120 a week up until this week.. probably down to £20-30 a week for next month or so
Was doing 90 mile round journey at least 4 times a week to visit daughter in hospital but not allowed to visit for 3 weeks..
I have a diesel and always avoid supermarket fuels. Apparently the fuel comes from the same tanks but it's all about the additives that they don't add that the 'big name' fuel palces do. But don't quote me on that!!

Always hearsay and to be honest I've found the price differential not to be like it once was.

I've used supermarket fuels for years and never any issues... Supermarket delivery trucks use their own stufd

Last edited:
dropping like a stone. looks like it'll drop to the lowest its been for a while, apart from january 2016 - what happened then?

What are the main reasons behind the fall in prices?
In a nutshell, it's down to too much supply and too little demand. China's economic slowdown has curbed appetite for commodities in general, while Saudi Arabia, which produces a third of the Opec cartel's output, is keener on preserving its market share than it is on cutting production to boost prices. At the same time, the rise of the US as a shale oil producer means it now imports less oil, adding to the glut on world markets. This makes life harder for other non-US, non-Opec producers, who are facing cutbacks, particularly in the North Sea.

Logon or register to see this image

They reckon it may go as low as $10 a barrel given the huge drop in demand due to COVID-19 and less storage space for oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the fuel is basically the same, we used to live near a fuel distribution depot near Southampton. You would see all the tankers for Esso, Shell, Texaco, Tesco, etc all leaving. Allegedly some of the oil companies add some extra detergents but no one has ever proven that. I have only used supermarket petrol and diesel for the last 10 years with no Ill effects.
I was once told by a very reliable and honest mechanic never to use supermarket fuel under any circumstances. In his words it's "shite". The bloke has been a godsend when it comes to looking after my vehicles and those of others I know so I'm happy to take him at his word.
Here's the problem, I'm not sure which advice to listen to.
"I have a diesel and always avoid supermarket fuels. Apparently the fuel comes from the same tanks but it's all about the additives that they don't add that the 'big name' fuel palces do. But don't quote me on that!!"
;)

Last edited:
It should go down really.
I mean, it apparently takes a whole lot of drilling into the earth and then refined from crude oil and yet we pay around £6 a gallon for it, give or take.
However, beers/lagers and such like are brewed at breweries from stuff grown in fields. And for that effort we are asked/told to pay around £25 to £30 a gallon, depending....and then some.

Nuts when you think about it but it's a leisure and leisure seems to be at a massive premium these days.

That's pretty much the info I'd got

Asda, Morrisons and now Sainsbury's have all dropped their prices considerably.

However, the BP place on Wessington Way is still charging £1.167 per litre, the thieving twats (they're always the last to drop the price, but the first to put it up, surprise surprise).

More fuel you if you continue to fill up with BP until they drop the price too, I suppose!

I have a weird love for the smell of petrol and so I notice how different suppliers fuel smells. I'd say most supermarkets fuel smells a little harsher than proper petrol station fuel. The nicest smelling fuel was the petrol from the now-closed Stadium Garage opposite Sunderland Greyhound Stadium which smelled much sweeter than other fuels. I mentioned this to the bloke at the garage and he said it was the purest petrol you could get, not adulterated with other ingredients that supermarkets cut their fuel with (maybe he meant ethanol). I don't know if it was because he had told me that, but my MGB's engine seemed to be much more responsive with that petrol inthe tank.

It’s common knowledge that the fuel companies include different additive packs. Sticking to something like Shell is an insurance that you will never know the true value of because nobody runs two identical cars, at the same time, in the same way, with one exclusively on supermarket fuel and the other on Shell. Basically, some people are happy to pay the difference for a difficult to quantify benefit and some are not. I think people saying the car drives better on one versus the other is a placebo effect. Personally I put shell in for the sake of a couple of quid per tank.

Back