Petrol costs

I wonder if they have decided that given the reaction to £1.90+ has essentially been a national grumble they have thought fuck it, we can make on this without any real detriment. There's been no blocklades like there were in the early 2000s.

The reality will almost be certainly be something to do with forward pricing or something equally dull and rational.

I’ve been told if a garage gets a tanker of fuel at X pence a litre, the price may fall the next day but they’ve bought it at that price so can’t drop their price until they get their next tanker in, which may only be a few pence cheaper but they can then pass that on. Unless they are robing bastards and don’t bother.
My mate has a filing station that's what he has been doing, pricing his fuel based upon the tanker price of his last delivery to keep things simple as the wholesale prices have been swinging wildly day to day a few weeks ago they have steadied and are dropping,

Something like that. I'll be honest I can claim a bit back from work at 45p a mile, which I know I'm lucky to be able to do. That rate has been in place though since I started my job in 2006. The union asked why it doesn't reflect the current rise and were told anything above becomes taxable. And people wonder why I choose to work from home rather than clock 500 miles a week.
I will be starting a new job in September which will allow me to work from home two days a week. 40% saving on diesel is a canny bit these days.

Only get 1 point per litre now not per pound isn’t it?

On petrol its not even that, its 1 point per litre. But then quite often have double points on petrol vouchers & another double up when use Sainsbury’s credit card
Supermarkets seem to be more expensive.

It's weird, as when prices were rising, Sainsbury’s was actually the cheapest. Now they're dropping, they're way behind. It's like they're a week behind the curve.

Last edited:
RAC had said last week they expect the price to come down by about 20p over the next few weeks. Then again they've already said there's no reason for it to be as high as it is now.

From Sunderland I only go to work in Gateshead once a week now. Maybe another few days I'll do trips round the doors. At least two days a week my car's sat doing nowt and it still cost me over £100 in petrol last month.

Yearning for lockdown when I was using £20 a month.

My mate has a filing station that's what he has been doing, pricing his fuel based upon the tanker price of his last delivery to keep things simple as the wholesale prices have been swinging wildly day to day a few weeks ago they have steadied and are dropping,
That's what this local one is doing . They are doing great with their online presence telling everyone

Last edited:
The wifes (no) car cost £35 to fill when we got it 4 years ago.
Yesterday it took £57!
Someone somewhere in the middle east is laughing their tits off at our expense.
The costs for drilling and mining haven't changed over the last 4 years so they're artificially inflating the prices and grabbing the profits.
The government make for money the more it costs as there is tax and vat on the tax, so they're shuffling their feet and changing the subjects as it's paying off the COVID expense.
Robbing bassas the lot of them.

The costs of refining fuel has gone through the roof due to energy price rises which businesses aren't capped on. So although the price of oil has dropped quite a bit, fuel costs remain high, adding in delivery costs to the forecourt have risen, due to high fuel prices. Its a viscous circle.

Back