Peterlee

Whats it actually like?

Which areas are more affluent? Which areas are best to avoid?

The wife is potentially looking to target some of the areas in Peterlee with a business idea, but not knowing the area I'd like a bit SMB input.
I grew up in Peterlee aged 3-13, lived in Southway then moved up to the more affluent Pentland Close, the bad areas imo were as you came into Peterlee from Easington & the Horden end, the house we had in Southway had only one door, so if we had a fire we were fxucked.

I grew up in Peterlee aged 3-13, lived in Southway then moved up to the more affluent Pentland Close, the bad areas imo were as you came into Peterlee from Easington & the Horden end, the house we had in Southway had only one door, so if we had a fire we were fxucked.

I would disagree with that like as from the Horden end you come through Thorntree gilll and eastdene way which is one of the nicer areas of Peterlee

No factual. Durham council that does the hygiene inspections shut them down. It seems like it was a while ago so the place must have been minging to take so long to sort out. It had only recently opened after a refit too.
First I've heard of that. Can't find anything online to confirm it either.

That's exactly what I said about Peterlee. You can be in a shitty bit, but still a stones throw from a nice bit .It's weird
True, The thing about Peterlee was in the mid 60's it was a New Town so people from all over the Country were sent there, so there never was a sense of Community like the Pit villages, everybody just went their own way really. I enjoyed my childhood there mind.

True, The thing about Peterlee was in the mid 60's it was a New Town so people from all over the Country were sent there, so there never was a sense of Community like the Pit villages, everybody just went their own way really. I enjoyed my childhood there mind.

I’m not sure that I agree with that. Most of the inhabitants came here from the local pit villages, notably the ‘D’ villages. That meant that most had a core of people that they already knew. I don’t think there was more than a handful of people from outside the local area. People were more friendly then too, I knew everyone of the neighbours in our street, and played with most of the kids living there or in the streets around.

We also had freedom to roam then, and roam we did, from one end of the town to the other, not forgetting walking down to Horden for the pictures on a Saturday morning. I too enjoyed growing up here.

I’m not sure that I agree with that. Most of the inhabitants came here from the local pit villages, notably the ‘D’ villages. That meant that most had a core of people that they already knew. I don’t think there was more than a handful of people from outside the local area. People were more friendly then too, I knew everyone of the neighbours in our street, and played with most of the kids living there or in the streets around.

We also had freedom to roam then, and roam we did, from one end of the town to the other, not forgetting walking down to Horden for the pictures on a Saturday morning. I too enjoyed growing up here.
I am just going on what i can remember, Up Pentland Close we had 2 brummie families either side of us with 2 or 3 further up the street, Some Elvis wannabee from Bradford & a fair few from around the Yorkshire & Lancashire area, We all got on very well apart from Elvis who repeatedly played Suspicious Minds all day. :lol:

Been picked up on coaches to the match at the hearts of oak, the central and the labour club oh and the bus stop just up from the old ATS garage. Absolutely brilliant times.

I am just going on what i can remember, Up Pentland Close we had 2 brummie families either side of us with 2 or 3 further up the street, Some Elvis wannabee from Bradford & a fair few from around the Yorkshire & Lancashire area, We all got on very well apart from Elvis who repeatedly played Suspicious Minds all day. :lol:

I go back to before Pentland Close was even built! I was at St Bedes when they started building there, must have been the early 1970s. We lived in Peterlee from around 1960.

Moved there in 77 when I got married, got a brand new 3 bed house, moved back to the town, 3 years later to buy my first house it wasn't a bad place to live then, haven't been back in years so dont know what it's like now

Peterlee is not great. There's some really nice areas that I would have no problem moving there tomorrow but then there is some really bad bits.
I have worked all over the country and I would 100 % rather live in peterlee than most of the other shit holes in this country.

Agreed. Even in the roughest bits I wouldn't feel as if I had to keep my wits about me to avoid getting mugged, shot or stabbed. Compared to other places.

Agreed. Even in the roughest bits I wouldn't feel as if I had to keep my wits about me to avoid getting mugged, shot or stabbed. Compared to other places.
I'm working in Sunderland today. My first job was just off Hylton road and it's like Beirut. I'm now working in Princes Avenue at seaburn which is alright.

Back