Peterlee-SMB Favourite

Mr.Thunders

Striker
I notice this north east town that I've only ever driven past is often the subject of smb jokes.

As there as several shit holes in the region why does Peterlee get a special mention?

Do any regular posters live here?

Thanks in advance

I’ve often wondered this and I think it’s for the Trevor pasty thread, probably because I lived there and spoke a lot about it and was probably quite controversial in my younger days and then Heed used to go on about it.

Not sure why it is supposedly so bad mind. There’s many people here that live in either a worse place or couldn’t afford to live in some of the better houses there.

I think Horden often gets classed as Peterlee hence the mocking.

That said it’s still a bit of a dump mind.

The town centre Christmas tree that was mocked around the world has a lot to answer for.

went to school there, it was a decent place although even then those flat roofed housed were looking worse for wear and had or were being converted into pitched roofs.
My sister and friends worked in mental health in east durham and they mentioned that lots of patients from other areas had been housed in and around peterlee (horden, easington colliery) which shall we say didn't have a positive effect on the area as whole (ie: lots of people with no family or support who were already struggling in many ways).

It had a massive boost not long ago when it was revealed to be one of the tree-iest places ever.
It actually has loads of green spaces, unlike most places. There's fields and trees all over.
And, oddly, hardly any traffic lights. I can only think of 2 sets in the whole town, and they're both at the town centre.

Its a bit crap, obviously, but its not all that bad. Certainly no worse than anywhere else in East Durham.

Built a new town and called it peterlee,but then once it’s built let’s close all the surrounding villages pits,this meaning very few jobs within 15 miles radius.

Let’s sell off all the pit houses cheap to private landlords,then put problem family’s in from all over the north east.

Then watch the whole place get dragged into the gutter.

There is Some good people in these areas but there’s also some who are not,the latter looks like it’s out numbering the good.

Washington Newtown is going the exact same way.

then put problem family’s in from all over the north east.
Got a sister in peterlee,exactly as you describe,problem family,husband is on permanent sick despite playing golf,going fishing etc,easy street benefit ride,sister was shell-shocked when she had to sell her horse as the stabling fees were getting costly.

It is but then how many town centres are actually nice?
Most are crap these days mate.
Got a sister in peterlee,exactly as you describe,problem family,husband is on permanent sick despite playing golf,going fishing etc,easy street benefit ride,sister was shell-shocked when she had to sell her horse as the stabling fees were getting costly.
Could have just left it in her garden like the other locals

Last edited:

Back