Personal Trainers

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need a personal trainer to find somebody to motivate you. I know that a lot of personal trainers don't have a f***ing clue. They do a simple course and get a certificate.

As a boxer I speak to bodybuilders for a bulk of my nutritional/conditioning advise, because they actually know what the fuck they're on about. I mean proper bodybuilders though, not fat bouncers.

Depends on who you are and what you do.

If you box, you will be training with others.

If you just do regular fitness training, you have far more chance of achieving your objectives and more importantly maintaining your schedule if you're using a trainer. It's easy to retain motivation to train by yourself over a month or two - over 6, 9 and 12 it's very difficult to keep going and keep improving. People who do train by themselves tend to at best maintain fitness.

You are right in that there's a lot of crap ones though, so very important to get a good one.

As mentioned on here before, I did BMF (British military fitness) classes for about three years (only stopped as moved overseas). They are essentially group training sessions, and while I've always been pretty fit they got me o a brilliant level of ll round fitness. Did a marathon off the back of them with little actual running training.

This guy works at my gym. I've not used him, but I hear that he is a good trainer

link

Depends on who you are and what you do.

If you box, you will be training with others.

If you just do regular fitness training, you have far more chance of achieving your objectives and more importantly maintaining your schedule if you're using a trainer. It's easy to retain motivation to train by yourself over a month or two - over 6, 9 and 12 it's very difficult to keep going and keep improving. People who do train by themselves tend to at best maintain fitness.

You are right in that there's a lot of crap ones though, so very important to get a good one.

As mentioned on here before, I did BMF (British military fitness) classes for about three years (only stopped as moved overseas). They are essentially group training sessions, and while I've always been pretty fit they got me o a brilliant level of ll round fitness. Did a marathon off the back of them with little actual running training.

I don't just box with an amateur boxing club where there's a group. I also have to do those weight training sessions, those long runs and those sprints.

For me, I've found that seeing my own transformation is enough motivation. Whether it's to gain strength, reduce bodyfat, or whatever. If you speak to some people who know what they are doing, you will save yourself a fortune and probably lose the motivation problems!

Also, another reason for a fitness/health sub-forum on here is for Diet/Fitness logs, they're a bigggggg help to people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't just box with an amateur boxing club where there's a group. I also have to do those weight training sessions, those long runs and those sprints.

For me, I've found that seeing my own transformation is enough motivation. Whether it's to gain strength, reduce bodyfat, or whatever. If you speak to some people who know what they are doing, you will save yourself a fortune and probably lose the motivation problems!

Also, another reason for a fitness/health sub-forum on here is for Diet/Fitness logs, they're a bigggggg help to people.

Don't disagree mate, but IMO you do need 'support', whether it's from other people you're training with, a trainer or whatever.

Simply going to a gym and training by yourself isn't sustainable in the long term, and even if people do manage to keep turning up they are just maintaining fitness.

Think a fitness/health sub forum is a cracking idea - gets my vote.

Don't disagree mate, but IMO you do need 'support', whether it's from other people you're training with, a trainer or whatever.

Simply going to a gym and training by yourself isn't sustainable in the long term, and even if people do manage to keep turning up they are just maintaining fitness.

Think a fitness/health sub forum is a cracking idea - gets my vote.

Yeah, you need support but I wouldn't seek a personal trainer for it to be honest. I'm speaking from person experience too, I've went from 260+lb fat fuck to 163lbs and I've got the progress pictures if we get a fitness sub that I can share.

Titus said:
Honestly mate, just revise up on some routines and save yourself a fortune. The motivation will be your own gains once you start to see them.

Also consider registering to a site like bodybuilding.com/forum and start some kind of fitness log. Despite the website name, it's not exclusive to bodybuilders and I post there myself.

What's your username in there mate? If ya fancy trying a different forum have a look at testosteronemuscle.co.uk I post on there and there's a canny bunch in there aswell.

What's your username in there mate? If ya fancy trying a different forum have a look at testosteronemuscle.co.uk I post on there and there's a canny bunch in there aswell.

Used to browse T-nation ages ago.

I'll drop you a PM :cool:

Some good points, I think I personal trainers are ideally suited to some but not for others. It's actually for our lass (no), she's struggling for the motivation having not been a sporty person, its easy to talk yourself out of leaving a nice warm house to do a class or go to they gym but if someone is coming to the house to physically collect you then there's no choice. Not a permanent thing, just to kick start the motivation.

where abouts do you live?

IMO Titus is right, 90% of PT's are spotty 18 year old who have done a 6 week college course. Don't get me wrong, theres a lot of decent ones BUT the vast majority are lads who liked playing sport in school and gone that route.

I motivate myself and i teach myself form etc.

mate of mine does it from Durham. Result fitness, always busy either in the gym they have there or doing PT stuff and hes an ex pro footy player. Used to play for Sunderland RCA aswell. Think he charges about £30 an hour but times to suit you

mate of mine does it from Durham. Result fitness, always busy either in the gym they have there or doing PT stuff and hes an ex pro footy player. Used to play for Sunderland RCA aswell. Think he charges about £30 an hour but times to suit you
lad on my facebook was praising them

Only ever enjoyed arm chair sport.
Turned 48 and thought time to get fit.
Joined gym. Got trainer.
Would have found experience very intimidating and confusing without trainer.
Lucky i got a good one as did no prior research.
Use trainer twice a week and train self other days.
Can see why some say dont use but for someone starting out like me a good idea. If i had tried on my own would have quit long ago and possibly injured myself along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back