Performance reviews /objective setting

It's good to plan but an overblown exercise is bad enough for one member of staff; for a manager it takes up far too much time. One thing lockdown should influenced would be to shorten team meetings and individual reviews and to increase time spent performing.

Absolutely shit where I work, 2 a year, one objective setting and a mid year review. They could be a useful tool but the way they are forced and the format they are in is just tick box repetitive bullshit.

Once a measure becomes a target it ceases to be a good measure.

They are utterly worthless and used to get around managing people properly. I could do a whole thread myself on this subject. I once somehow had to manage the office manager/receptionist because I was 'good at managing difficult people'. Every appraisal she would print off every email where someone had said 'Thanks' in their sign off as 'evidence' that she was high performing.:lol:

Read an article a few years back where they highlighted how they were counter productive and didn't improve performance or job satisfaction. I'll see if I can dig it out.

f***ing hate it, I also line manage as well so have to go through all the shit with other people. We all work on different projects so it’s hard to compare like for like performance. Ultimately people who get more rewarded are the ones who plan the Christmas party or make presentations about sustainability or the impacts of menopause. People who put their heads down and do the graft without fuss are left behind
Same here. Been rollocked a couple of times for not doing staff reviews. (They don't want them) and when I say I haven't had on for several years..........waste of fecking time......

Performance reviews are a tool for management.
If yours is bad or difficult, you're either bad at your job or your manager is using rules to manage, which is a sign of a bad manager.

I think they're a waste of time anyway, if you do something wrong, it should be dealt with then and there and not trotted out 6 months later when you can't remember why you did something that way.

Par the course in healthcare but I leave it to my managers .
Used to get them when I was Engineering and Tbf they were ok - lasted 15 minutes and always resulted in a payrise .

It's a good way of helping those that want to develop/progress as it gives you defined metrics/targets, but for most staff who happily go about their work and are fine with their day to day, I agree it's a waste of time.

It’s horrible. Have to treat it as a ‘campaign’. Book chats with all the right people where you’re basically asking them to promote you without asking them to promote you.

So false.

I get assessed by a manager who has no training in appraisals (I have). I’m well known for the quality of my output, even sacrificing deadlines to get things just right, and by far the most diligent of our technical staff.
He gave me “Quality - C (Average)”. I told him that was bollocks and he just said it was too much hassle to change it. Utter load of shite.

Absolutely shit where I work, 2 a year, one objective setting and a mid year review. They could be a useful tool but the way they are forced and the format they are in is just tick box repetitive bullshit.

Same at mine, got my mid year next week. :cry:

Think i've pretty much written the same bullshit for the last 4 years

I get assessed by a manager who has no training in appraisals (I have). I’m well known for the quality of my output, even sacrificing deadlines to get things just right, and by far the most diligent of our technical staff.
He gave me “Quality - C (Average)”. I told him that was bollocks and he just said it was too much hassle to change it. Utter load of shite.
😀
Only joking as I agree for some appraisals are a waste of time

Had a conversation this morning. Went through some of it.. back to the drawing board for some of it.

She wasn't happy. I'm the only person under her remit and she is trying to do it so straight down the line . It's driving me mad to be honest. I've probablt wasted a whole day on this overall

Once a measure becomes a target it ceases to be a good measure.

They are utterly worthless and used to get around managing people properly. I could do a whole thread myself on this subject. I once somehow had to manage the office manager/receptionist because I was 'good at managing difficult people'. Every appraisal she would print off every email where someone had said 'Thanks' in their sign off as 'evidence' that she was high performing.:lol:

Read an article a few years back where they highlighted how they were counter productive and didn't improve performance or job satisfaction. I'll see if I can dig it out.
I manage a team in the private sector I usually just send them an email to say we have "done" your annual review I make it up then we have an informal chat about what they actually want and if they have any issues or ideas. It much much more effective. Meanwhile though my bosses think their reviews are working well, I did used to try and change that but people in very high positions are often shit and incompetent in my experience so all it did was waste my time.

OKRs are the new snake oil in performance appraisal land. We've adopted them this year, 3 month in, still don't get it. My team even less so. Be some canny fudge getting applied at year end

Back